How do I form a R.E.I.T. ? - Posted by Brett

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 26, 2002 at 11:41:30:

Rough life, somebody’s got to do it!

John Hyre

How do I form a R.E.I.T. ? - Posted by Brett

Posted by Brett on January 24, 2002 at 13:52:15:

I had heard that one financing option for the active real estate investore is to form thier own REIT.

How exactly is that done? And since money in a REIT is in the form of shares how does that effect the real estate deals that a REIT invests in?

I would appreciate information on REIT’s you may have or if you could direct me to someone to talk to about the “ins and outs”.

Thanks,

Brett

Re: How do I form a R.E.I.T. ? - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 24, 2002 at 14:35:45:

If you are looking for about $50 million or so to invest, hire counsel…the REIT rules are very involved…I know having advised a few. If< $50M, probably not cost effective. See www.nareit.com.

John Hyre

Re: How do I form a R.E.I.T. ? - Posted by Kent C

Posted by Kent C on January 27, 2002 at 21:06:36:

This is not what I had heard about John. I had heard of “some” instrument to use for investing a lump sum distribution of a 401K. They say there is a way to invest it into an IRA or something that can be comprised of realty property. The usage does not trigger an IRS “withdrawal” of funds. Does any of this sound familiar?

Kent C

Re: How do I form a R.E.I.T. ? - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on January 25, 2002 at 17:26:24:

Hi John,

I was pleased to see this post as I myself was searching for some information on taking a company public. While this website you suggested has valuable information I am wondering if you know of a site that outlines and details more specifically the steps involved?

Thanks so much,

Jacque - WA

Re: How do I form a R.E.I.T. ? - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 25, 2002 at 17:54:35:

Jacque,

I know of no site that goes into the requisite detail…you might try some of the investment banker sites (Goldman Sachs, etc.). The best way to learn is thoroughly go through a number of prospecti and SEC 10-K statements for REITs and RE-driven MLPs…I’ve picked up quite alot, especially in the way of patterns, from reading stacks of them. Run a search on yahoo for “+EDGAR+SEC”…that site allows you to pull up 10-K’s (annual report) and S-3’s (prospectus) for companies based on your search parameters.

John Hyre

Holy Cow - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on January 26, 2002 at 11:06:27:

That will keep me busy reading while sipping fufu drinks (you know the kind with umbrellas) vacationing/business in Mexico.

Thanks,

Jacque