How do you market? - Posted by Doug

Re: The Marketing Letter - Posted by Lance Brown

Posted by Lance Brown on March 05, 2002 at 03:07:13:

Clair,

Looks great to me. If this is an exact copy of your letter, then be sure to insert the word, “free” into your last sentence:

“…handy and feel **** to contact me at any time.”

Thanks for the idea for a marketing letter, Clair!

Lance, Rock Hill, SC

Thank You. Re: The Marketing Letter - Posted by Hau (San Jose, CA)

Posted by Hau (San Jose, CA) on March 04, 2002 at 23:27:49:

Hi Clair,

I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful letter. This is a great start for most beginners like myself. Thanks!

Hau

Re: How do you market? - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on March 05, 2002 at 09:01:46:

Those are the details! LOL

No really. I placed the ad in the paper, got tons of
calls. Most of the calls were motivated but being new
at this I fumbled the ball over and over. Then one day
a lady called me about a 2 family, she had power of
attorney. The mother went into a retirement home and
they wanted the house (motivation rears its evil head).
I checked comps and they came in around $65K. She asked
for $40K and like an idiot I said $25K. She said no and
tossed me out (in a polite way). About a week later she
called back (always leave the door open) and asked if I
would take it for $35K (I knew I was on to something),I
offered $28K, she said $30K. We signed it up. $500
deposit, new ad in the pennysaver for $9, found a buyer
on the 3rd day the paper was on the shelves. Double
closed and spoiled myself rotten.

Happy Investing,

GregNY

Re: How do you market? - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on March 04, 2002 at 13:50:03:

I speak from my experience as an ‘unsuccessful marketer’ this is how I believe ads are not enough. In my market - they’ll set you back a pretty penny. I haven’t actually tried distributing my business card en-masse, because mine isn’t as cool as the one described in my post (on my list to buy once I make some money at this)

I’ve resisted bandit signs (out of fear of fines, etc) but finally ordered some this weekend from ‘banditsigns.com

I’ve passed out about 100 flyers (mostly good excercise and a chance to walk my farm - no calls yet)

I’ve had ads in Major Newspaper (several calls a week - but mostly people looking for a sucker investor) same with the local Penny Saver.

The best success I had was calling FSBOs using a script from the Conti/Finkle course. I only made 10 calls and got a very promising appointment and no one was rude (the script is very non-threatening.) Unfortunately, the deal turned out to be a non-deal because the seller had listed with a Realtor. I know that if I made my 20-30 calls a days (like I’m supposed to - I see more results.)

I also have a website - but I haven’t made it easy for anyone to find (except through my ads.)

I’m currently contemplating the following marketing: Register Tape, Bus Bench, and Radio

I’ve also recently (just this weekend) sent out about 50 letters to a combination of Pre-Foreclosures and Out of State Owners. I’m HAND ADDRESSING each envelope (to increase odds they’ll open it) and I’m putting one of my ‘very professional looking’ business cards in each letter.

I think that if I can just be consistent with a combination of all of these techniques (including a select amount of bandit signage) I’ll be getting deals before Bikini Weather (which in San Diego could be next week - just kidding).

Good luck