How much cash flow is enough? - Posted by Drew

Posted by Chuck on July 16, 2003 at 22:50:45:

At $475 a month/per unit, you’d be $125 short of making the mortgage if one of them was vacant for more than 30 days.

How much cash flow is enough? - Posted by Drew

Posted by Drew on July 16, 2003 at 22:14:31:

I am contemplating purchasing a small duplex with $950 per month in rental income. Mortgage payments on the property would be about $600 (including taxes, insurance, etc). That leaves a $350 difference…is that enough cash flow to justify a purchase? If not, why, and how much cash flow is enough to make a good investment?

-Drew

Re: How much cash flow is enough? - Posted by AzCliff

Posted by AzCliff on September 09, 2003 at 21:42:59:

Go for it, save the $350 differnce, for vacancy, etc. if you have at least a year lease on both you would have saved $4200.

Re: How much cash flow is enough? - Posted by Andy

Posted by Andy on August 11, 2003 at 17:27:06:

The answer to your question depends on quite a few other variables, most notably:

• Amount of deferred maintenance
  • Purchase price
  • Your personal financial situation (ability to weather occassional negative cash flow, and ability to gain potential tax benefits)
  • Estimated vacancy factor
  • Estimated appreciation rate for the property

If you are interested, I have posted a free real estate financial analysis and valuation model at www.slatefinancial.com.

Otherwise, contact me at 512-771-3943 and I would be happy to discuss the merits and drawbacks of your potential investment with you.
Andy