How much emphasis should be put on MH inspection? - Posted by Robert (NC)

Posted by Robert(NC) on December 08, 1999 at 04:24:58:

The rough checklist is in chapter 5, “What to Look For”. Chapter 7 is “Making Repairs”.
Lonnie’s book are great and as Lonnie says, are only meant to be used as guidelines in developing your own system. I’ve already read the book.

Robert

How much emphasis should be put on MH inspection? - Posted by Robert (NC)

Posted by Robert (NC) on December 07, 1999 at 17:38:21:

Hi all,

I was hoping to get a clearer picture of how much emphasis the veteran MHers put into MH inspection. I’m developing a system that will allow me to efficiently inspect without spending too much time unnecessarily. Lonnie seems to cover it well in ‘Deals On Wheels’, and I was interested in the groups opinion on the time and detail issue.
Is there a checklist that you might share with me that might be helpful, or a form you’ve developed that will allow me to total the costs of repairs as I go through the checklist so as to have a cost estimate ready for the seller as a we continue negotiating, or something similar?

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: How much emphasis should be put on MH inspection? - Posted by John (WA)

Posted by John (WA) on December 08, 1999 at 10:23:04:

Well…how much is your time worth? If you spend an extra 30 minutes doing a detailed inspection and you discover something significant, would that be time well spent?

In spite of my “thorough” inspection, apparently it was not good enough on my last purchase. The furnace died the day my buyer took possession. Although I sold it as-is, I’m not the kind of person that would dump that problem in someone elses lap. Comsequently, I will eat this one.

I checked the furnace out before I purchased but it would seem that my inspection was inadequate. Would I have caught the problem with a more thorough inspection? Maybe, maybe not. But you can sure bet that next time my inspection procedure will be a bit more involved.

So again, what’s your time worth?

Re: How much emphasis should be put on MH inspection? - Posted by Tobe (ID)

Posted by Tobe (ID) on December 07, 1999 at 18:32:36:

Lonnie gives you a rough checklist in Chap. 7.

Tobe