How much to replace Window seals? - Posted by Frank

Posted by michaela-CA on June 18, 2007 at 14:32:28:

I’m not much into sliding glass doors, but I would think it’s be cheaper ot replace the whole door. Maybe I’m wrong.

Michaela

How much to replace Window seals? - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on June 18, 2007 at 14:25:52:

My rental unit is 10 years old and the sliding door to the patio (glass) is showing moisture in it as well as the fixed glass pane next to it. This indicates the seals are broken and allowing water in. I called one contractor and he quoted me $1000-$1200 to fix it. Does that sound right? I’ve never had broken seals fixed before on doors and windows. Thoughts?

Re: How much to replace Window seals? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on June 19, 2007 at 11:08:51:

Never done a sliding door, but fairly routinely replace glass, vaccuum and seal on windows, and the process is pretty much the same.

Call around to local window manufacturers etc… 1000-1200 seems outrageously high if the glass and door itself are structurally sound and basically are just talking about gas filling the space and resealing it.

Remember a typical contractor is going to sub out the work and then charge you ~2.5 his costs.

Re: How much to replace Window seals? - Posted by Dons

Posted by Dons on June 19, 2007 at 02:24:22:

I had that done to a sliding door on one of my units about a year and a half ago. It was $810.

Dons

Re: How much to replace Window seals? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on June 18, 2007 at 19:08:10:

I use Glass Doctor, which is a franchise, because it is cheaper than taking out the whole window. However, for $1200 you could put in some nice French Doors.

Tye