How to find Pre - Foreclosures? - Posted by Steve

Posted by Rob on March 20, 2001 at 10:59:34:

Usually what investors use is their local legal paper, or a publisher who publish a local foreclosure paper.
There are other ways, but this is the usual way.

You can ask the county recorder for the information on NOD. Some have the NOD, and other don’t. Also, where you can find the foreclosure paper.

How to find Pre - Foreclosures? - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on March 20, 2001 at 10:44:28:

I went to the court house this morning and sat down at one of their search computers. Oddly enough, there were 15 computers, and I was the only one in the room! Hopefully this means that there isn’t much competition in my area :slight_smile: The system that my county uses asks you to click on a topic to search for. My question is, what are the “Keywords” that I’m trying to locate for preforeclosures, or any other type of motivated buyer. I thought that there would in fact be a listing for foreclosure, but I guess that I was wrong…:slight_smile: Is there a synonymous legal term that I possibly overlooked, OR is my search a lot more difficult than I intended?

Thanks In Advance,


My Favorite Way … - Posted by Rick Wheat

Posted by Rick Wheat on March 21, 2001 at 04:42:49:

of finding “Preforeclosures” is to advertise for them. By that, I mean that all my marketing tells people “Behind in Payments? We Can Help!”, along with other reasons people NEED to get rid of a house.

When people call on my ad, I have already prescreened them for motivation. Thay are raising their hand to let me know they have a problem, and wondering if I can help them solve it.

Sure does change the complexion of the negotiations!


Rick Wheat

Re: How to find Pre - Foreclosures? - Posted by Todd (MO)

Posted by Todd (MO) on March 20, 2001 at 15:31:18:


Rob’s right, most investors use the local legal paper or foreclosure publication. So if you want to have heavy competition then do what everyone else is doing. If you want to have a 2-3 day jump on 95% of the other investors, then go to the courthouse.

Talk to the clerk there to find out how to look them up. They should be under NOS (Notice Of Sale), NOD (Notice Of Default), TS (Trustee’s Sale), or NTS (Notice of Trustee’s Sale). Depending on whether you are in a Deed of trust or mortgage state. Might also be under Lis Pendens.

At the least you can search for the previous days filings and search manually.