how to handle bad construction - Posted by mel (NC)

Posted by ccreia-nc on March 12, 2002 at 16:19:27:

How about tell them about it. People are not mad if they know up front. Just tell them in a positive way and it wont be that big of a deal most of time.

CCREIA
www.ccreia.org

how to handle bad construction - Posted by mel (NC)

Posted by mel (NC) on March 12, 2002 at 14:52:25:

Hello everyone,

I have a small brick ranch that I have just finished rehabing except for one problem. The house has an enclosed carport and water seeps in under the front wall when it rains. The wall is wood construction and butts directly against the concrete drive. Bad idea! I wanted to cut a section of the driveway in front of the wall and install a drain but the nearest ditch is 75 feet away and the grade is only 17 inches lower than the drive. I could open it back up but there is a porch built onto it that would also have to be removed. The house is only worth about $60k so I don?t want to put too much effort in fixing it. However, if I do nothing, I could see this being a big problem when the house is inspected. Is there some kind of creative disclosure statement I could add to the contract like ?enclosed carport for storage only?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Mel

Re: how to handle bad construction - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on March 12, 2002 at 16:54:53:

Could you pour another 2 or 3 inches of concrete on top of the existing floor to raise the level and prevent flooding? This would not prevent the wall from rotting eventually but it would stop the flooding.

I wouldn’t go to this expense because you cannot increase the price of the house enough to pay for it. I would give the buyer a disclosure and if necessary, knock a few bucks off the price.