HVAC options - Posted by John Reid

Posted by michaela-CA on June 25, 2007 at 19:40:06:

Brandon,

I assume that was meant for John - since you replied to me. I would definitley go against window units, as they would not do well when it comes to resale value. So, he might as well put something in that he doesn’t ahve to replace when he’s ready to sell.

Michaela

HVAC options - Posted by John Reid

Posted by John Reid on June 25, 2007 at 09:50:12:

I am renovating a 1907 house with no heating or cooling. Small space heaters were used by the previous occupants and there was no air conditioning. I have been researching options and need to base my decisions on 1. cost of installation, 2. cost of use/effeciency, and 3. resale appeal. I’m leaning towards using pellat stoves as I will be living here for several years and then maybe changing over to another form of heating as this may scare potential buyers. Pellat stoves seem effecient and cost effective in terms of installation and use, but I worry about even heating. I’m also thinking about baseboard heat which is, supposedly, effecient to use but costly to install. I love my house’s high ceilings and do not want to drop them for pipes. I have about decided on window units for air conditioning for cost and ease of installation. Any thoughts or previous experiences would be appreciated. Maybe there’s something out there I haven’t considered yet.

This is one of the best forums on the web! Thanks in advance everyone!

Re: HVAC options - Posted by Ed in Idaho

Posted by Ed in Idaho on June 26, 2007 at 24:09:14:

First, nothing is efficient without good windows and insulation. Aside from that you have alot of options but some are better for the layout of the house and the area you live in.

Pellet stoves are very good nowadays and are very efficient. You do need a place to store the bags of pellets, and they do need cleaned once in a while, but you can get them where you see the flame. (very romantic) Good heat.

I just built 4,000 sq ft (2,000 on each level) and went thru the “what to heat with dilema”. And the winner is…

Rinnai heaters. They are AWESOME. Gas or propane fueled, direct vent out a wall with a minimum clearance of only a foot from any door or window, and very efficient. I did build with Logix foam blocks and have R-50 in my ceiling, but I went thru a winter here with temps sometimes at -25*F with only one heater hooked up upstairs on one side of my house. With thermostat at 72, farthest room upstairs (master bath) temp was 69 and it kept my downstairs(unfinished) at about 60 and warmer. Not bad for one heater. I used the larger Rinnai, cost $1400. They pressurize your house as they heat so the heat feels like a blanket around you, very nice heat. Will eventually have three (2 larger, 1 smaller). 1 larger for 2,000 sq ft upstairs, 1 larger for 1,200 sq ft downstairs, 1 smaller for 800 sq ft mother-in-law apt. Total cost of $3600. These units humidify also.

Forced air system bid was $7500. But you can add AC, humidifier, and air filters to this system.

Also if you are redoing floors, look at in floor heating (hydronic or electric). You won’t want anything else for your own house once you go that route.

To many options and good/bad sides to all the ways of heating without knowing more but I’m totally happy with my Rinnai’s and you would be happy with them also or pellet stoves. E-mail me personally if you have more specific questions, or ask here if you want. I’m not a heating guy but I looked at almost everything, so I’m not jaded to any one way.

Re: HVAC options - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 25, 2007 at 10:50:45:

John,

a lot depends on your local area. I’ve done nothing but old houses, built around 1900 and I always put in HVAC systems. I was in Atlanta. Wherever you are may be a different preferred method of heating;/cooling.

With an old house and high ceilings and single-pane windows, you have to figure about 1 ton for every 500-600 sqf.

The ductwork is easily run in the crawlspace or attic.

My last system was a combination electric heatpump system. With the price of gas having gone up so much it turned out a lot cheaper than gas. But if you’re in an area, where the winters get very cold, then gas might be cheaper.

ALso consider getting storm windows put over ht eexisting windows. It’s historically accepted.

Michaela

Re: HVAC options - Posted by brandoncbsre@lycos.com

Posted by brandoncbsre@lycos.com on June 25, 2007 at 19:34:32:

Electric baseboards are probably the cheapest solution for heating the home. Espesially if you are going with window AC units anyway.