I give up: Part II - Posted by Mack

Posted by Casey on February 09, 2002 at 22:38:48:

Sounds to me like you got a negitive attitude. Sounds like your just a little wore down and need to give yourself a pep talk. Is the a reason you are in this pattern? Other people are succeeding but it always gets by you? That sounds like you got to dig down and look at yourself in the mirror and make some changes quick. A mentor is just going to drag you around and soon as your by yourself and he is gone you will find a problem and quit. My advice is to try to get a positive attitude and dont lisen to negitive people i look at them as just the enemy in my way. Hope this helps just my 2 cents

Casey

I give up: Part II - Posted by Mack

Posted by Mack on February 09, 2002 at 21:20:17:

I have put ads in papers. Placed flyers and business cards all about town. Nothing. Very few calls. If I get a call, they have no idea what I’m talking about. They want top dollar for their home, even if they are losing it. They are behind in payments and have to get to another state or husband took off. I explain what I do. They say “Who they hell you think you are? I ain’t selling my property for anything less than what’s it’s worth!” Is this a pipe dream? Do people make a living doing this? I can’t keep on spending money on flyers, cards and ads. I got bills to pay. I’ve lost so many times in life. Never had money, just bogus jobs to tend me over. I went to college, but I never got a break in the coporate world. Always someone else’s stiff. Now, I’m getting older. I’m afraid I will die a poor man, a failure, a joke. It seemed everyone has passed me by. High School and College friends got married, got the nice house, the pretty wife and kids. After all these years, I got nothing, just broken dreams, and a robot job. I’ve thought about ending it at times. I can’t believe that I’ve become such a failure. So here I am. The last chance. Reading books on RE. Hoping that I can make something of myself. But to be honest with you, I’m getting flashbacks of MLM and pyramid scams. Every opportunity I have looked into has been a scam. I’m tried of losing in business. Every morning, I get this nervous pit in my stomach. It gets so bad that I don’t want to get out of bed. What did I do today? After a week of reading books, reading archives, placing ads, flyers and business cards. I did nothing! That nervous pit in my stomach made me lay in bed the whole day. I have no one to turn to. Everyone has written me off. I have no friends anymore, I spend weekends alone. I have no life, I’m not joking when I say that. Please, I need help. I can’t lose again. This is my last chance. I need a mentor real fast. If anyone lives in the state of Massachusetts, please leave me information where I contact you.

Re: I give up: Part II - Posted by Erick F.

Posted by Erick F. on February 13, 2002 at 20:53:52:

You are a great salesperson MACK!!!

A few Suggestions - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on February 10, 2002 at 08:56:13:

Hi Mack:

You sound like someone yelling out in desperation seeking help.

Some years ago, I experienced a bout of depression. It is very debilitating, and you can lay in bed all day not feel like doing anything.

Go see a doctor tommorrow, and get some medication. Prozac works in a day, and you wouldn’t believe the difference. Trust me.

After that, go down to your local church and get involved. Being around people doing interesting things does wonders.

One thought here is you may also sound angry and stressed out when talikg to people in your condition. That really turns folks off.

A word about “they have no idea what I’m talking about”.

A friend and I worked for a company that went bankrupt. My friend tried selling different products and had little luck with different things he tried. He got UPSET over people’s reactions.

So, we went to see a friend, the EXPERT, who started some businesses for advice. The expert asked “did you listen to the people you spoke to and find up what they really want?” HE said "I got many GOOD business ideas from customers who told me they have no idea what I’m talking about.

Give you an example what we did after that. My friend was trying to sell a line of “cooking oil” to restaurants that was much cheaper, and cooks better than any other. He was upset that folks just couldn’t GET IT. The EXPERT said next time, find out if there’s anything these folks COULND’T FIND or BUY, instead of talking about your cooking oil. The expert went on to say how helpful some customers can be.

So my friend and I decided to try this approach and went to see a Restaurant owner about the cooking oil. The owner shook his head and said “NO, and gave the usual reasons, that he’s happy with what he’s got yada yada”. Instead of getting discouraged, my friend asks “is there anything you need that we can help you with??”

Well, we were pleasantly surprised. This restaurant owner said he couldn’t get “fresh water fish” from his suppliers, that he and some other restaurnat owner friends were seriously thinking about doing indoor fish farming. The owner spent a good hour talking about other problems he had and things he tried.

We would had been sent packing in less than 5 minutes had we persisted on the cooking oil.

We tried another restaruant owner and he had trouble finding wrappers for fortune cookies from his regular supplier. The owner explained that drug dealers been buying up the bags. This man said that he even checked into machines that makes these little bags, and thought about making and selling it. Even gave us info on the manfacturer in Germany for these machines.

We then went back to the expert and told him, that he’s right, we got a load of business ideas from folks not interested in our cooking oil. The expert reminded us “business is solving OTHER peoples problems (they need good fish), not solving YOUR problems (selling cooking oil).”

He told us that at one point, he went around selling a product he didn’t really have, and wasn’t sure if customers wanted. So the idea was to get himself in the door and find out what his customers wanted. Its called MARKET RESEARCH.

So my suggestion is:

1- Get medical attention.
2- Get involved with people down at your local chuch.
3- Do some market research AFTER you feel better.

You’ll do fine.

Frank Chin

Re: I give up: Part II - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on February 10, 2002 at 08:09:10:

Mack,
I figure this is fake. But if I am wrong let me respond. You state you have read for a week and placed ads. You couldn’t absorb enough information in a week (or 3 for that matter) to sound intelligent on the phone to your callers, thus they get frustrated and hang up. They aren’t supposed to “know” what you are talking about, you are supposed to educate them.
Family and friends gave up on you huh. Suppose its because you keep seeking sympathy? Try being friendly first and you will get friendly back. Get off your butt and get out of bed. Go to the library to read so you are around people. Go read at the mall. Suck it up and get going. If you don’t, know one will know or care. Sadly, thats how real life is. DanT

Re: I give up: Part II - Posted by Brad

Posted by Brad on February 10, 2002 at 08:08:21:

Go get the book Self Matters Phillip C. McGraw

Re: I give up: Part II - Posted by Jim Rayner

Posted by Jim Rayner on February 10, 2002 at 07:48:58:

Mack,

Call me Let’s talk about Massachusetts CRE - 508-397-5691

In Case of Emergency, Do This !!! - Posted by Todd (OH)

Posted by Todd (OH) on February 10, 2002 at 06:05:41:

Mack:

I don’t know if your post is for real or not, but it sounds like you are despressed and (by your own implication) potentially suicidal, and I will treat it as such. I also did not have the benefit, as some others who have responded, to see your previous post which I presume was “I Give Up, (Part 1)”. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Besides, in real life there ARE other people out there who feel like you do (more or less) and could possibly use a boost. These suggestions will work for ANYONE who is feeling burned out, depressed, etc.

Basically, Mack, you need some help. Since I am taking time to respond, I will challenge you to email me (or post on this board if you wish) on the progress of what I suggest. If you don’t respond to me, I can only presume you don’t want help…

Before I came to this board and read your post, I was praying about 2 houses I have on the market for sale, cause I need some cash flow RIGHT NOW (although apparently not as badly as you do). I didn’t really have time to check this board this morning, so maybe it was not by accident that I saw your post…

Here is your to do list:

1. Give yourself SOME credit! The fact that you stuck around to post “I Give Up Part 2” means that you DIDN’T give up after Part 1.

2. Go to your library, and pick up a book FOR FREE called “Unstoppable” by Cynthia Kersey. It is a collection of very short REAL LIFE stories about people who have overcome HUGE obstacles. Some of the people in this book will make your life seem like a Hawaiian Vacation! It is one of the most powerful books I have ever read.

3. Also at the Library FOR FREE, pick up something from Anthony (Tony) Robbins. Preferably some audio tapes from his “Personal Power” 30-day program. Our library has the whole set, but some may be checked out. If you can’t get Tony’s tapes, get one of his books. BE READY TO WORK. All of Tony’s tapes and books come with HOMEWORK. His books are good, but hearing this guy on tape WILL PUMP YOU UP.

4. If you have about $10-$15 bucks, call 1-800-BISHOP-2 and order a tape called “It Only Matters How You Finish”. This tape is by T.D. Jakes. One of the most inspirational speeches I have ever heard! If you can’t afford the $10-$15 bucks, email me and I will provide a copy for you.

5. Read, in the Bible, Matthew Chapter 25, verses 14-30. Its a story about 2 guys who doubled their money, and one guy who was scared and lazy so he didn’t make any money. If you don’t understand it, respond by posting or email and I will explain it.

6. Pray to God for help. If you are an atheist, you ain’t got nuthin’ to lose by praying. If you are “thinking of ending it”, you ain’t got nuthin’ to lose by praying.

7. Go to the Library, again for FREE, and rent some comedy movies and concerts by different comedians. Get Jerry Seinfeld’s “I’m Telling You for the Last Time”. Don’t watch anything on TV or movies if it doesn’t make you laugh. Life’s too short for fictitious drama (my tenants give me enough REAL LIFE drama).

Speaking of comedies and suicidal thoughts, the movie “Father’s Day” with Billy Crystal and Robin Williams has one of the funniest lines in it by Robin Williams. Almost at the beginning of the movie, when they are sketching out the personalities of the characters, Robin Williams is a self-proclaimed loser. He says, “For years I’ve thought of killing myself, its the only thing that’s kept me going…” :slight_smile:

Mack, the point is, find SOMETHING to keep you going. I don’t know if Real Estate is for you. Maybe its not. But don’t give up on life or yourself.

Mack, or anyone else out there who needs a boost, start with number 1 on this list, let me know how it goes…

Todd(OH)

Whatever… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 10, 2002 at 02:42:13:

Now your just wasting everyone’s time… posting the same nonsense another time… if we didnt think it was before, then certainly we do now…

Time is the most valuable commodity available…

If you don’t repsect anyones time then why would they repsect yours are become your mentor…

David Alexander

Re: I give up: Part II - Posted by di

Posted by di on February 10, 2002 at 02:03:46:

Hello Mack, I think you might start by responding to some more of the people in your previous thread. It may help you think things through a bit, because there was some very good advice mixed in there with the platitudes.
Do you realize that you’re more successful than at least 15% of Americans, because you graduated from H.S.? more successful than 30% because you went to college, whether you graduated or not. more successful than 10%, because you’ve held a decent job for more than 1 year at a time. That everyone who posts here would be a failure if they were to compare themselves to Donald Trump or Bill Gates? That most of those friends of yours got where they are by working at a job? & some people would consider just having to work at a job a failure. GIVE YOURSELF CREDIT for what you have accomplished in your life! Then figure out, realistically, what would it take for you to feel successful. Owning a certain # of rentals, making a certain amount of money, having a certain net worth? Whatever it is, set some goals, make a plan, THEN realize you’re NOT going to get there in a week or 2 or even a year or 2. This is going to take a long-term commitment. If you’re ready to go for it, this is the site for you.
If you’re not quite sure real estate is what you really want to do, you might try http://www.barbarasher.com/
That’s a tremendous site to help with goals and life decisions, with very little “positive thinking” ideology and a lot of very supportive, helpful people in the forums.
There are a lot of people here trying to help. Let us know how you’re doing.
DI

Rehash again? - Posted by MatthewC

Posted by MatthewC on February 09, 2002 at 23:47:43:

You had a lot of people offer lots of supporting words and some advice. Why are you posting this same post again?

You need to start taking responsibility to make things happen. It sounds to me you don’t need a mentor, you need to go talk to someone live about your issues. There are free services and hotlines for you to call.