I had the nicest compliment today... - Posted by lisa

Posted by d.moren on April 21, 2000 at 21:37:55:

Rob, your point is well taken. As is most always the case in life, things work out best when we find the proper balance.
dennis

I had the nicest compliment today… - Posted by lisa

Posted by lisa on April 19, 2000 at 17:47:19:

I’m no guru or anything, but I feel like I’ve learned so much and applied it I’m about out of newbie-ism. While calling some FSBO’s in my area today, yes I still do cold calling, came across a prime candidate for an L/P. Now, I’m a late organizer so it was late in the afternoon by the time I read today’s paper and started calling. Anyway, I talked to the woman for about 15 or 20 minutes, about her house and some misc. She said at the end of conversation that someone had already pitched doing an L/P to her earlier, almost verbatum terms, but if she were to do it, she’d do it with me, not the other person. Why? Because I took the time to actually TALK to her about her situation and the circumstances that got her there, not only the house stats. Also, she said I was more informative and clear than anyone that had called before, that I came across as a “very smart lady” who knew what she was doing in regards to solving RE problems. She didn’t like some of my ideas, but sure did appreciate the fact that I took the time to explain them to her. Boy, that sure meant a lot to me. My goal in the beginning was to be up front, honest and clear in my business, and to help people find solutions to their problems. I know about the 3 minute qualifying rule, but it doesn’t work for me, and I don’t mind using MY 15/20 minute rule. Maybe she’ll come around, maybe she won’t, but I’ll feel good about running my business this way and sleep good at night. It pays to take a little extra time occasionally, even if I don’t get the deal. Slow down and enjoy the roses.

Sorry to be so long winded…
Lisa
family2familyhomes@hotmail.com

Re: I had the nicest compliment today… - Posted by Lisa

Posted by Lisa on April 20, 2000 at 08:44:47:

It was my understanding that this board was
for the purposes of problem solving,
networking, and ENCOURAGEMENT. And so I thank
all of you who responded to my post
positively. The kind words really made my day
an even better one, we all need the extra pat
on the back sometimes. Thanks to all, and I
will keep you posted as to how things turn
out. For now, I will continue to do things my
way, it works for me.

Lisa
Family 2 Family Homes

Re: I had the nicest compliment today… - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 19, 2000 at 20:36:14:

I agree… it’s all about people…not just money and deals. These are real people that we talk to.

Laure :slight_smile:

I used to be the nicest guy in the world on the phone - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on April 19, 2000 at 21:56:36:

Do you know what ?

I was the nicest guy on the phone. I listened. I took the time to hear about your terrible job and how you got passed over for the promotion. And how, you had your house listed for 6 months with this no-good fast talking realtor who never once had a showing. And how if you never got tangled up with your know it all good for nothing sheep stealing brother in law , then things would be different.

I learned really fast that I am not “Dial a Friend” nor am I the local social services agency. Face it - we are helpful, outgoing, and people type persons or we would never have gotten into this crazy business in the first place.

But, the quicker I can get off the phone and on to the next call, the quicker I am going to find a deal. And if I don’t find a deal soon I won’t eat.

As Ron Legrand said in his own special way “I ain’t interested in his orange trees out back till I know he’s a motivated sellar…then I want to know all about them orange trees.”

Theres only a few hours a day to turn suspects into prospects. I can’t be the one who will listen to everyone’s story. I can be polite as I hang up the phone tho - “excuse me I have another call coming in” (and this one might be a seller).

(P.S. Wait till you have 2 or 3 of these people that you spend an hour and a half with on the phone do a deal with someone else and then you will focus your attention real fast on what you’re doing.

To each his own - Posted by d.moren

Posted by d.moren on April 20, 2000 at 07:19:51:

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m doing RE primarily to enrich and feel good about myself and my life. C’mon, if taking whatever minutes to qualify someone, on the phone, works for me then so be it.

After all the “perfect” way to do something is the way it works for you.

dennis

Re: To each his own - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 20, 2000 at 10:45:45:

I think what you said is pretty noble, if we don’t feel good about who we are or trample on others then we need to make some serious changes.

On the other hand, I look a that as much more of a side benefit. Yes, it is important to be enriched and feel good, but when the phone company or the grocery store wants their payment try telling them “Here is some enrichment and goodwill.” Not me I am in it for the money plain and simple. I can get personal satisfaction in lots of places, but I can’t get mailbox type income from most of them.