I hate cold calling - Posted by Jim

Posted by Don in Miami on February 21, 2000 at 18:11:29:

I have to admit that i haven’t been on this site for some time. And never really spoke out much.I have been learning from these great men and women.

But the one thing i can talk intelligently about is cold calling.I am in investor relation and have to call about stock brokers a day. it is not easy but well worth it.I have been selling over the phone for some time now and i am always willing to enlighten anyone that want to listen on how to cold call and do it effectively.
When we call someone out of the newspaper that is not cold calling. They have invited calls from us, they welcome our calls.this is the one time they can get interupted ad dinner time, not that i condone such behavior, So do not hesitate to call!

When your talking to them just think of them as a friend you haven’t met yet and talk in your NORMAL VOICE, the same voice that you wold talk to your friends and family with.Write down a list of questions or points that you need to cover with them and that will keep you focused.
I hope this helps
Just my two cents worth.

Don

I hate cold calling - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on February 19, 2000 at 17:22:58:

How does someone make money in this business if they hate cold calling on newspaper ads looking for deals. Is there anyone who has an idea to help a phone challenged budding investor ?

Thanks Dave

Re: I hate cold calling - Posted by J.

Posted by J. on February 22, 2000 at 17:46:35:

I don’t really mind cold calling. I just got to where i loved talking with people. Just get yourself in a Great mod and start calling. Remember you’re a real estate investor they probably wish they were you.
J.

Re: I hate cold calling - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on February 20, 2000 at 04:05:09:

Get a script and read it over and over until it is second nature. Check these out:

http://www.creonline.com/articl91.htm

http://www.creonline.com/mm_37.htm

Remember that they are the ones who have to sell to you.

-Knock 'em dead killer, Chris

Re: I hate cold calling - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on February 19, 2000 at 21:38:15:

Hi Jim,
You probably feel that way because you are new to this and don’t know what to ask and have the fear of rejection. But what you are talking about is no where near cold calling. These folks put an ad in the paper to Receive calls from people interested in buying their house. Isn’t that you? You are doing them a favor by calling. Don’t most of them respond to you in a positive way when you call? Remember, don’t try to sell anything over the phone. Use it to gather the info you need to make a decision as to whether their property is worth pursuing and make an appointment to go see. Try to gauge their level of motivation. I always ask “how soon can you be out”? somewhere in the conversation. If you just let them talk they will tell you why they are selling. It could true or false. That’s up to you to find out. If they are not very cooperative put them on the back burner and follow up later. The more calls you make the better you will get. I can almost do them in my sleep. Nothing to be afraid of. Keep emotions out of it and be business like. Good Luck.

Re: I hate cold calling - Posted by d.henderson

Posted by d.henderson on February 19, 2000 at 19:18:44:

I hate it too, still do some days. Once I start though it’s better. Just quit putting it off. The more that you call and the better you get at asking questions, you won’t mind it that much. It’s just learning the biz…the more you do the better you get. Like Nike says just do it. I have a highlighted piece of paper with all the questions that I want to ask, also some of the courses have a telephone questionaire, that helps a lot.
Good Luck,
Dee-Texas