I need cheap education ! - Posted by Scott Spencer

Posted by BrokerScott (Mich) on September 25, 2003 at 16:59:55:

What would make a librarian an authority on REI? Oh wait I know— If she logged onto CREonline. Guess yours didn’t. He He Scott P.S. What is an exspurt? Ex= a has been — spurt= a drip under pressure. P.P.S. make sure you respond to the original poster.

I need cheap education ! - Posted by Scott Spencer

Posted by Scott Spencer on September 25, 2003 at 15:51:51:

Looking for my first book on Real Estate Investing.
Any suggestions… Thanks

Krulack book review @ Amazon - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on September 25, 2003 at 21:53:53:

David Krulack has been here for some time and has really done a bang-up job of reviewing a shelf full of REI books at this link:

Kaiser’s “Abandoned Properties” course is pretty cheap and is really good.

Or you could buy a couple J. T. Reed books on the high risk world of commercial investing and fail in that area, like he did, then start a bitter site bashing all the courses and books on SFH investing you never read all those years ago.

Whoops, I jumped to another thread at mid-post. Sorry.

Re: I need cheap education ! - Posted by Pboone

Posted by Pboone on September 25, 2003 at 20:13:43:

I have some books and tapes on REI including Bronchick, I am willing to sell @ half of retail

Re: I need cheap education ! - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on September 25, 2003 at 17:57:59:

Scott,

The others have given you a great choice of books.

Let me throw one in…“The Landlord’s Kit”-- Jeffrey Taylor.

Its filled with ready to use forms, letters and notices for your landlording needs. :slight_smile:

Best of luck,

RichV(FL)

Re: I need cheap education ! - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 25, 2003 at 16:32:34:

Scott Spencer-------------------

I recommend that you read my post for beginners. You can find it by putting “beginners success” into the archive search function at the top of this forum.

In my view, no one book will do it. You need to read a range of different views and suggestions in a bunch of different books.

Good InvestingRon Starr*****

Re: I need cheap education ! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on September 25, 2003 at 16:10:59:

Buy It Fix It Sell It - Kevin Myers.
Flipping Properties - Bill Bronchick.
Quick Turn - Ron Legrand.

Re: I need cheap education ! - Posted by BrokerScott (Mich)

Posted by BrokerScott (Mich) on September 25, 2003 at 15:59:23:

Landlording by Robinson, How to buy and manage rental properties by Milan, are a couple of good ones.

Re: Krulack book review @ Amazon - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on September 25, 2003 at 22:30:22:

Hey Hank. I thought that was my idea about becoming a rei crank with a website. The problem with Jack Reed is that he is smart and articulate (and moral)–so we find ourselves listening even when we wish we could write him off. Don’t you just hate that? Sincerely, Kristine

Re: I need cheap education ! - Posted by Troy

Posted by Troy on September 25, 2003 at 16:34:06:

Nothing Down for the 90’s by Robert Allen is still a Classic in my view. Tons of Creative RE ideas.

Funny story about this book. I borrowed it from the local Library. I took it back and asked the librarian, is it possible to buy this book? She said (with a distinct air of authority) This is outdated, it’s from the 90’s. (the principles in this book are timeless and I’d already used most of them in my deals). Then she said, “It’s also an American book, so most of those things don’t apply in Canada.” (Totally untrue. These are Principles that apply virtually anywhere with minor Regional differences.)

I got a good chuckle and didn’t tell her how many deals I’d done using these exact ideas. Beware the supposed EXPERTS! “You can’t do that!” they say. More like, “I can’t do that.” is what they mean.

Troy
straightoptions.com

Re: I need cheap education ! - Posted by Billy

Posted by Billy on September 25, 2003 at 16:12:25:

Log onto www.realestatepubs.com/howtoarticles.htm and read these excellent how-to articles.

Re: Krulack book review @ Amazon - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on September 25, 2003 at 23:54:27:

Smart & articulate ? Yes.

Moral ?

How does one put forth a review on Jimmy Napier from one newsletter someone mailed him ?

Go read the review on Napier, I’ll wait … da da da da da , … la la la la la … mmmmmmmmmmmm … mmmmmmmmmm … dum de dum da da…

OK, What did you think ?

What would you think if I told you that J.Napier used to do a paper seminar (perhaps he still is) once a year that some rather intelligent investors venture to Chiplee to participate in. These people are not real estate failures like Reed.

People that can — do it. Those that can’t sometimes become academics and/or critics.

An art critic I can put up with for that is all a matter of taste.

But when Reed says that motivated sellers of single family houses only exist in infomercials, he’s just a p_ssed off old man that never made it in COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE.

Being b_tchy does not necessarily equate to being moral.