I want to mail to property owners. - Posted by Morgan

Posted by Morgan on April 15, 2002 at 08:31:30:

No, I’m going to send out 2.9 million postcards. But if I sent out 1000 to random owners, is that considered a waste?

I want to mail to property owners. - Posted by Morgan

Posted by Morgan on April 15, 2002 at 08:19:42:

Tell me if this is a good idea. I want to mail out postcards. I’m going to the courthouse to get names of people where the tax bill is being sent. If I mail to these people (not knowing if they even want to sell their home or they even have problems with their property) would you consider this a good idea? Is it blind mailings? If I sent out 500 cards to property owners, their could be a few who might want to sell their home. I’m not talking about the foreclosure lists or people who owe taxes on their property. Just property owners. The reason I just want to mail to property owners, rather than searching for foreclosures or defunct payers is because they sell a database of all property owners in the county. I can’t go to the courthouse house, because of my hours. But if I can get that database, I’m looking at 2.9 million names for a small fee. I’m I throwing my $$$ away by doing blanket mailings? Has anyone mailed this way?

Re: I want to mail to property owners. - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on April 16, 2002 at 03:17:17:

To answer your question below as well, yes, it is a waste to blindly mail to a list of property owners. Morgan, we are much smarter than that.

Getting ownership information is not difficult for most areas. The last time I checked, First American Real Estate Services has information for something like a thousand counties. I subscribe to more than a couple of those counties myself.

With it, I can custom design a search that will pull up the properties and owners I intend to target. As described here often, out of area owners are a favorite. You can also send to landlords since it’s easy to isolate the properties where the mailing address is different from the site address, or you can target specific subdivisions (I have a few favorites), etc. There are hundreds of search parameters and designing your search is very cool. So, pick an area, isolate the owners you want (the subject to guys like newer develoments) and fire away.

See the diff?

In my county, I can find little widow ladies who are living on a lake in a three bedroom house with a fireplace and wood shingle siding in average condition, three years delinquent in her property taxes. I’m guessing it’s a small list, but it’s one you could create if that’s what you were looking to do.

Joe

P.S. Postage ain’t cheap.

Re: I want to mail to property owners. - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on April 15, 2002 at 08:40:14:

Morgan: Target it in some way. You can buy a list of targeted names just as well as one with everyone on it. It’s worth it. If you mail to 1000 names randomly, will you know if the property is a home or vacant land? Commercial vs. residential? I don’t know what area you are in, but a mailing in my town, even if you sent 10,000 cards would very likely get you little to no response. Check out an area that has distressed properties and use that zip code. Look for tax-defaulted owners, or out-of-town owners, or something with some possibilities.

There are many services that sell targeted data. You can find out more about it in the archives. Sincerely, Kristine

I Would Target Market - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on April 15, 2002 at 08:25:28:

And not spend the time or money sending out 2.9 million post cards randomly. Target people in foreclosure or landlords that are evicting non paying tenants.

Or if you are looking for 4plexes, target owners of 4plexes. etc.

Re: I want to mail to property owners. - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on April 16, 2002 at 22:25:21:

Do you have the site address for First American? You are an endless supply of information. Thanks.

Re: I Would Target Market - Posted by Morgan

Posted by Morgan on April 15, 2002 at 08:36:52:

How do you find them?