If you seel on contract, how do you pay the taxes? - Posted by Bill Taylor

Posted by Bud Branstetter on February 02, 2000 at 22:29:16:

Redneck saying-You are probably a dealer if you buy and sell using a corporation multiple times a year. You are probably not a dealer if you only do a couple.

You are probably a dealer if your income is from buying and selling. You are probably not a dealer if you have a job and most of your income is from the job.

You are a dealer if you buy with the intent to resell.

Dealers have to pay taxes in installment sale profits in the year of sale. Non dealers can elect to do an installment sale.

Contracts for deed many times get more down and higher monthly payments than lease options. Contracts may take longer to get possession of the property if they flake out. L/O are an easy way of selling but so is owner financing. The preferred method of sale is cash to you. It is amazing what a good mortgage broker can do to accomplish that. If not a note sale can get much of the cash. Contracts for deeds and L/O are good when there are problems with the property. L/O is a good method for an investor to sell to get long term capital gains or installment sale consideration even if he buys and sells other property from a corporation.

If you seel on contract, how do you pay the taxes? - Posted by Bill Taylor

Posted by Bill Taylor on February 02, 2000 at 20:02:51:

Seems some people sell the homes they buy on contract, but the way I understand it you have to pay the tax on the gain the same year. Seems like you would be in quite a negative situation doing this. I would not mind selling on contract because that seems like what most people want but seems to be too many negatives doing this over L/O the home. Contracts make it harder to get back, and a big tax hit to boot.Am I seeing this wrong or is the L/O just one of the best ways of selling for us owners.