Illegal to have more than one price? - Posted by Jen NE

Posted by Craig on April 14, 1999 at 19:22:21:

Just advertise it for the highest price. Let people make offers. Get as much cash up front as you can and finance the rest if there is any. You are showing your cards to everyone, in my opinion that’s more than fair. No one will question it later when it was their own idea in the first place.

Illegal to have more than one price? - Posted by Jen NE

Posted by Jen NE on April 14, 1999 at 12:03:09:

I had a long converstion the other day with a MH park manager who told me that it was illegal to offer more than one price on a MH… This is how I was structuring the sale:

$4,000 AS IS Cash
$5,000 AS IS w/ Financing
$6,000 Fixed-up w/ Financing

Similar to what Lonnie has in his books… This park manager told me that multiple prices was illegal in Nebraska because it is discriminary against poorer people with no cash (she said similar law for car dealers)… I told her maybe she was thinking of possible restrictions for an agent or dealer??? -which I am neither, but she was adamant.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I thought she had to be nuts. I should be able to sell anything I have anyway I want to, correct? Thanks for any input…

A couple of questions? - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on April 14, 1999 at 22:48:10:

Hi Jen,
After reading your post I had a couple of questions and observations. First I don’t think it is ever any park managers business to know what you are selling your homes for. Not that it is a big secret or anything, and yes most will find out. But I wouldn’t make a big production of it.
All the PM needs to know is that you are selling it and are offering to help someone out with financing if they need it.
Second are you advertising numbers? If so, I wouldn’t suggest it. Personally I never put any price numbers on any of my signs or advertisements. Mainly because I sometimes price the home pursuant to my conversation with whoever is interested. I put enough bait out on the line to get prospects interested, but I like to guide them through the sale, and whatever option I chose to use in doing that is directly from key points they bring up in a phone consultation.
Anyhow that’s what works for me.
Dirk

Re: Illegal to have more than one price? - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 14, 1999 at 15:50:06:

Why not make it all $6000 and then give a $1000 allowance for repairs = $5000. And give a $1000 allowance for repairs, and a $1000 allowance for self-financing = $4000. Or how about a rebate?

Rebates are done all day long on autos. Mobile homes are considered vehicles, right?

Just change the packaging and all should be ok.

Re: Illegal to have more than one price? - Posted by GregA (NE)

Posted by GregA (NE) on April 14, 1999 at 15:21:06:

I haven’t seen this law, but wouldn’t be surprised. I assume that this refers to how you advertise.

If so…then it would seem to me that you advertise the high price w/ financing (i.e., Owner Will Finance - $6,000). Then show the MH without doing any work (besides cleanup) and tell the potential buyer your handyman is scheduled to come later in the week (he or she just doesn’t know it yet) to fix x, y & z and is going to charge you a $1,000 but if they want to do the work themselves you’ll drop the price by that amount.

Second, I wouldn’t recommend stating the discount for all cash unless the buyer does because you may get someone at this point who would pay you the $5,000 cash (it only has to happen once) :slight_smile:

Just my thoughts.

Greg Adams
Omaha, Nebraska

Re: Illegal to have more than one price? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on April 14, 1999 at 12:51:30:

Sure, it’s possible for multiple prices to be considered discriminatory, but that would vary from state to state. I don’t live in Nebraska, so…

It’s like the many rent control schemes that tell people they can’t charge what they feel like for their rental units. It’s not fair, but it’s the way it is.