Improving someone's credit - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Elizabeth on August 12, 2003 at 21:04:08:

Sorry I jumped. I was on a horrible site recently where everyone is attacking everybody else. I should have remembered that this site is where the nice people are. Sorry again.

I should clarify though. We can’t just write a letter and ask Experian or TransUnion to put something on our credit file. There has to be written documentation from a creditor to support what we are saying.

Improving someone’s credit - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Carlene (Maine) on August 10, 2003 at 09:37:23:

Hi,
How can I (or can I?) report that someone has paid for her mobile home entirely and always on time? I have a woman about to pay off and she asked if I could report her great history with me. I’ve never had anyone ask me this before.

Anyone ever done this?

I have looked in the phone book and Monday morning I am going to call some credit agencies, but it is Sunday and I’m just curious.

Thanks,
Carlene

Re: Improving someone’s credit - Posted by Elizabeth (NJ)

Posted by Elizabeth (NJ) on August 11, 2003 at 16:38:21:

If, as one of these posters suggested, you give her a written statement on your ltrhead that she has paid on time for X # of months until it was paid in full in timely fashion, she can send this note together with a covering letter on her own ltrhead to the 3 major credit reporting agencies: Experien, TransUnion, and Equifax, and ask that, pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, her credit report be updated within the prescribed 30 day period set by law to include this information.

I specialize in consumer credit & debtor-creditor law (paralegal), and can tell you that most people are not aware that they themselves can request that comments be placed on their reports.

Re: Improving someone’s credit - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on August 10, 2003 at 10:54:40:

I don’t believe credit agencies will allow a private party to report directly to the agency. Now if we obtain a judgement through the courts, the agency will likely pick that up in their reporting.

What I tell my Lonnie buyers is this. I can’t report directly to the credit agencies but here is what I can do.

I tell them to keep the promissory note marked “paid in full,” the purchase agreement and the now released title. Take that and my phone number to those who may wish to lend to them. If someone calls and the person has paid on time, then I would give them a good referral.

This may not sway a bank all by itself but if the person is border line for the loan, I don’t see how it would hurt.

Tony

Re: Improving someone’s credit - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on August 12, 2003 at 13:54:04:

Elizabeth (NJ) writes, in a private, not-for-the-board email:

“Your crude way of expressing yourself is unattractive and uncalled for”

Elizabeth, I regret that you feel that way. I was not ‘expressing myself’ in yesterday’s post, I was honestly asking you to show me where the FCRA says this.

I posted the link so that perhaps someone, anyone, else might find that which I seek. It seems that you feel like I am trying to expose something - far from it.

I want to help my buyers, but until you opened my eyes to the possibility that I could do this without paying all that money to the big three credit guys, I thought that they would just have to find a credit fix elsewhere.

I am honestly asking for a point at the answer.

Re: Improving someone’s credit - Posted by Gib

Posted by Gib on August 11, 2003 at 17:40:49:

You CAN add consumer comments to tradelines (doesn’t do you a lick of good though), but you CANNOT just add your own tradelines.

Gib

I am one of most - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on August 11, 2003 at 17:07:59:

No kidding?

Can you post a link to some kind of reference that says this?

In reviewing the complete text of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), 15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq., prepared by the staff of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) as a public service,

I see no reference to this.

Mebbe I dinna read so good, please he’p.

This would be good to know, if it can be shown as true by documentable reference. I get asked this by buyers a lot too.

Re: Improving someone’s credit - Posted by Carlene (Maine)

Posted by Carlene (Maine) on August 11, 2003 at 16:41:55:

Well, Thank you so much. I have written her a letter and I will explain what you have told me.
I truly appreciate your comments, because I have gotten no where today with this.
She will be very happy and I feel thrilled to be able to help her.

Thanks again,

Carlene

Great idea- NT - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on August 11, 2003 at 10:20:36:

NT