Installing new windows - Posted by Glen SoCal

Posted by Greg Meade on September 24, 2003 at 07:01:47:

used by glaziers to insulate around windows and doors,etc. Comes in 50’ rolls 1/4, 1/2, 1" in diameter. You compress it into annular space and it expands to fit. Much prefer this to the stuffin can as that can be messy , hard to trim, and can distort aluminum when it expands. Stuff is cheap to buy and easy to use!

Installing new windows - Posted by Glen SoCal

Posted by Glen SoCal on September 23, 2003 at 11:28:52:

I can get new vinyl clad and new alluminum windows at a great price. There is a window business that collects rejected orders from contractors, as well as takes new orders. These rejected windows are new, but for some reason not what the contractor ordered, and refused.

I’m considering using these for-stick-built home windows on mobiles where needed. They’re mostly double-paned and attractive.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks, Glen

Replacing Mobile Home Windows - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on September 23, 2003 at 20:56:34:

Glen,

As some of the others eluded to, not only are stick built windows extra work to fit, most everything stick built takes work to fit into a mobile home. Typically the price does not offset the effort (the exception being exterior doors for rental mobile homes).

Mobile home windows are the fastest replacement job you will ever do, if you replace them with mobile home windows.

(Ironically) the replacement looks much like a pit stop in NASCAR. You unscrew about 50 - 1/4 inch screws, pull the entire window and frame out, and then reverse the process with a new window (adding puddy tape to waterproof). The entire change out take a matter of minutes.

I am blessed with a reasonably priced mobile home parts store in my area. A typical mobile home window runs about $35-$40, Screen included.

I don’t find any justification for cutting out and re-studding walls to add stick built home windows in any mobile. If you are selling or renting the mobile, you are simply adding expenses and time with no return on investment or effort. Save that for the doors I mentioned above.

Tony

Re: Installing new windows - Posted by Bert NH

Posted by Bert NH on September 23, 2003 at 11:55:38:

Watch out for wall thickness. Some of these old MOHOs have wall studs only 1.5" wide. You may have to trim the opening to make them weather-tight a consideration here in the great white north!

Re: Replacing Mobile Home Windows - Posted by Glen SoCal

Posted by Glen SoCal on September 23, 2003 at 21:37:23:

Tony-VA/NC

Thanks for your response. I’ve posting like a wild man lately, trying to post responsibly.

I was looking at a mobile (that someone quicker than me already purchased) and it had a busted window that was way too small for the room.

I’d been rehabbing a house and installing some windows around the same time. I would have needed to do some repaneling on the inside of the mobile anyway so figured I would peel it off around the window, cut and reframe a larger hole for whatever larger window I found, and install.

I’d understand the advantage of switching like for like. I was looking at cheap, big windows at the time, while looking at a mobile that had an undersized one. I may have lost my focus though. It probably wouldn’t have been profitable to do the extra work.

Innexperience can be costly.

Thanks, Glen

Re: Installing new windows - Posted by Glen SoCal

Posted by Glen SoCal on September 23, 2003 at 17:37:17:

When were the walls 1.5"? I imagine prior to 1976 HUD regs.

I don’t know much about retrofitting anything in mobiles. I guess most everything for stick-builts go in to mobiles. The bathtubs get fairly small though!

Do you know if it’s better to use the ‘box-type’ fitting window retrofits or the flange type? I’m figuring mobiles with 2x4 studs.

Thanks, Glen

Amenity Creep - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on September 24, 2003 at 10:06:42:

Glen,

If in this case you have the ability and time to do the work, then it might be something to consider.

Typically, however, it is a simple matter of asking oneself if this effort and expense will add more cash flow, a higher sales price or faster sale. Try not to talk yourself into the last one. Unless such a repair is truly a stumbling block for buyers, it may not be necessary.

Especially when we first begin investing in these homes, we are subject to view these homes as if We were intending to live in them. The amenities can creep far outside of the reality for a buyer. Those added costs may be unnecessary. It is a true balancing act to determine what makes the difference. If you catch yourself saying something like, “you know what look really nice there…,” you have begun to creep.

Tony

Re: Installing new windows - Posted by Bert NH

Posted by Bert NH on September 23, 2003 at 19:05:09:

Walls were that thin prior to HUD regs. Actually they were 2x3’s or even 2x2’s sometimes and they were turned on their sides.

I have only seen replacement windows in MOHOs that have the mounting flange. I would then add some decorative trim on the exterior to finish. Good Luck.

Re: Installing new windows - Posted by dandrews

Posted by dandrews on September 23, 2003 at 18:41:16:

The window man at Home Depot told me to not even consider installing windows unless you get the ones with the nailing fin. The homes shift since they are not on permanant foundations. This means the window is not weather tight. With a nailing fin, you will have a much tighter job.

Re: Amenity Creep - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on September 24, 2003 at 14:48:20:

Excellent point and one I need to revisit from time to time. I’m in exactly that position right now on a home. Due to my own laziness at not monitoring the progress of the work more closely, my conscientious but zealous handyman has gone a bit overboard.
Into this one way more than I want to be.
Worst case though is I’ll still make a good buck!!
Lyal

Re: Nailing fins. - Posted by Glen SoCal

Posted by Glen SoCal on September 23, 2003 at 18:57:20:

dandrews–

Nailing fins. That makes a lot of sense. That’s the answer I was looking for.

Is there any problem using vinyl clad instead of aluminum?

Thanks, Glen

vinyl work best with vinyl siding… - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on September 23, 2003 at 20:41:19:

cuz you can paint them to match lap siding or trim. Aluminum with other cladding. i like to put putty tape on flange b4 screwing in and also 1/2" backer rod on inside between stud and flange…keeps cold air out, etc. really like double glazed glass!

Re: vinyl work best with vinyl siding… - Posted by Bert NH

Posted by Bert NH on September 24, 2003 at 06:46:32:

Greg,

What is 1/2" backer rod?

Bert