Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by SCook85

Posted by JohnBoy on May 04, 1999 at 23:43:11:

That’s what I was told, it will damage the chip! Jerry’s computer got fried. He had a friend that went to load the disk and his virus scan picked it up as having the virus. He didn’t load it. Right after that his computer got fried!

It was the Chernobyl Virus

Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on May 04, 1999 at 22:55:22:

I’m aware that many people who were hit with the virus on the 26th, including myself, had the software package “Investors Adavantage” installed on their systems. Has anyone verified yet that this was the source of the virus. The virus was very costly to me. I lost a lot of important data and am reluctant to reload the software. The virus was a time sensitive one, will it hit again on the 26th? I’m not knowledgeable on how to scan a software package for viruses. Any help would be appreciated.

SCook85

Re: Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by SWebb

Posted by SWebb on May 05, 1999 at 11:48:49:

As a software consultant I’d like offer some clarification about computer viruses.

1. Scanning a disk with reputable up to date virus software WILL NOT damage your computer. There is a difference in scanning a disk or floppy and loading it.

2. As previously mentioned in other posts, virus software must be updated regularly. Both Norton and McAfee have automated schedulers in their software which can be set to notify you to check for updates.

3. If you suspect that you have an infected software package, the last thing you want to do is take the suspect software to another publicly used computer.

4. If you suspect you have infected software and aren’t sure about how to check it without damaging your computer, call the support dept. for your virus software you own. They will walk you through the process.

SWebb (CA)

Re: Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by Jason G TN

Posted by Jason G TN on May 05, 1999 at 09:07:07:

For those who checked the software, did you have a current virus pattern downloadable from the manf. web page. Possibly the virus was not in your current pattern and therefore could not be detected. Just a thought. Good luck!

Did anyone check on these people? - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on May 05, 1999 at 07:49:42:

How much information does anyone know about the company who sold the software? Are these qualified programmers or just a 1-2 man show out of their house? Has anyone asked? Did anyone bother to enquire about the safety of the software and the beta testing results?

From what I gather from others, a few guys in suits outside the convention that no one knew was hawking software that no one knew was safe or tested.

I scanned Investors Advantage and… - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on May 05, 1999 at 24:48:23:

came up clean!
Darn it anyway.
I read the previous posts concerning this and immediately thought I had found the culprit.
But, then I scanned the software floppy disks and Dr. solomon says it is all clear!
So, if anyone here gets a heads up on “where” they got the “CIH” or “Chernobyl” virus, PLEASE, pass it along.
I’d love to now “where” I got it.
And, I’d also love to be able to use the IA spftware again.
Thanks and good luck to all,
Jim IL

Re: Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on May 04, 1999 at 23:29:01:

Steve,

Sorry to hear that you were hit by the virus. I’m sure that it must be especially hard for someone as active as you. Here’s my advice…

Invest in a virus detection program like McAfee or Norton. This virus was discovered by many of the major antivirus players last summer. If you follow the company’s advice and upgrade your virus signature files on a regular basis (usually monthly), you’ll be protected from thousands of older viruses and new ones as they are discovered. These programs run in the background while you’re computer is on, and will flag you when they have detected a virus. Norton even has a “quarantine” function that safely places the suspected program in an area of your computer where it can do no harm. Then, you can send it to Norton for further analysis. It’s a great peace of mind.

As you have been so helpful with your posts, I hope that this one helps you.

All the best.

Bill K. (AZ)

Re: Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by Tim (snj)

Posted by Tim (snj) on May 04, 1999 at 23:22:14:

To all of you who haven’t yet, PLEASE go out and get a copy of McCaffys or Nortons and learn to use it. It’s not difficult to learn how to scan a floppy or a file that you download. The time you spend educating yourself can be, as you already know, priceless.

If you already have a virus protection software, be sure to go to that company’s site and download the new definitions every month.

More then my .02 - it’s now my job :frowning:
Tim

Re: Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on May 04, 1999 at 23:07:50:

Steve, talk to Jerry G. He said his friend got the virus from loading that disk also. It showed up on his virus scan and that will fry your BIOS Chip.

Maybe you can go load the disk on a computer at the library and see what happens…lol…or take the disk to a computer store and ask them if they would be so kind to run a virus scan on the disk for you??..lol

sorry, redundant, should have read further before posting(nt) - Posted by Jason G Tn

Posted by Jason G Tn on May 05, 1999 at 09:12:45:

nt

Re: Did anyone check on these people? - Posted by Swebb

Posted by Swebb on May 05, 1999 at 22:58:57:

Dan,

There are many ways that production ready floppies and CDrom disks can become infected with a virus. The alpha or beta testing process does not directly relate to the production of retail ready product from any company no matter how well known or large. Both IBM and Microsoft have had to issue apologies to their customers in the past because their products hit the streets infected by viruses. Link to the SPARC Virus Research lab at http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ for additional information about anti virus protection and other valuable facts.

Re: Did anyone check on these people? - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on May 05, 1999 at 14:01:31:

Dan,

Your lack of knowledge in this area is showing. What do “beta testing results” have to do with viruses? Software viruses have been found in even the largest software companies; AFTER all “beta testing” has been completed.

What question(s) would you suggest one ask to determine if someone’s software has a virus?

Before you answer, let me say that there is no answer to this question. No legitimate business would knowingly sell virus-infested software as this would affect their reputation. And, businesses who are out there to GIVE you a virus wouldn’t truthfully answer any question you think would uncover the truth about a virus in their software.

That’s why companies like Norton and McAfee are thriving. Only YOU can protect yourself with appropriate antivirus programs.

Bill K. (AZ)

Re: Investors Advantage----- Virus? - Posted by Tim (snj)

Posted by Tim (snj) on May 04, 1999 at 23:36:20:

Are you saying that just by scaning the floppy that contains this virus, you will lose your bios memory? Or are you implying it will physically damage the chip?
Does this virus have a name yet?

Thanks, Tim