Is THIS a GOOD IDEA?? [re: dealer issue] - Posted by Jeff Bliven (TN)

Posted by Blane (MI) on February 13, 2001 at 13:34:16:

Bypass yourself at your own risk. The state will take a dim view of it if they catch you. Worth it? Only you can decide. Me, I work the cost into the deal, I still make out ok, and remain legal. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and sleep well at night.

Blane

Is THIS a GOOD IDEA?? [re: dealer issue] - Posted by Jeff Bliven (TN)

Posted by Jeff Bliven (TN) on February 13, 2001 at 12:31:41:

There’s been a lot of posting as to “dealer” laws / rules / regulations… My IDEA is this:

If when you BUY a coach from a motivated seller, WOULD IT BE WISE to just hold onto the Title, and just pass it onto YOUR NEW BUYER when you turn around and sell it again??

Either, (a) signing it directly over to them, in essence bypassing yourself, OR… (b) Doing the paperwork to take possession CONCURRENT with the buyer you just sold it to??

I’d be interested to hear the PRO’s & CON’s on this type of an approach. Thank You!

TIA…

Jeff Bliven
TraderGuy@bigfoot.com

Bad idea, not to mention illegal - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on February 13, 2001 at 16:01:14:

As eluded to, skipping title is illegal. Possessing a title issued to another is illegal (obviously a dealer would be exempt from this). Being a dealer is not that big of a deal. Yes, you are going to have to jump through some ancient hoops but eventually you may make it. As a dealer, you can reassign titles. In VA, dealers don’t pay the sales tax on homes we aquire. The sales tax savings alone pays for my licensing costs.

Play the game by the rules and you will remain in a position of strength. Cut corners and eventually you will get burned. Every buyer that finds out you skipped title will have that one trump card they figure they can play against you when you decide to play hard ball with them not paying. It is the “Fruit of the posinous tree” defense. Basically, “yeah I did wrong, but he did wrong first!”

If still feel strongly about this title issue, look into Ernest Tew’s material where you do Net Lease type deals. Ernest’s deals offer great tax advantages as well. Contract for deed (title) type deals are also done but should be done properly. Courts and attorneys in my area are vary weary about them because so many are done sloppy.

When looking to create opportunity by solving a problem, be certain to weigh the benefits the solution will provide you. Skipping title to save a few bucks here and now can damage your credibility and your negotiating position, not to mention subject you to fines. Risking a lot for little gain is poor investing in my book.

Tony-VA

and another thing… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on February 13, 2001 at 14:48:39:

don’t let the seller get wind of your scheme, or a dishonest one could tell the state that they lost their title and ask for a reissue, and sell or emcumber
the title.