Landlord Questions - Posted by JohnFL

Posted by qstaff on August 11, 2003 at 20:24:52:

There are standard rental applications out there. The only thing you need to know from previous landlords is did they pay the rent on time and did they keep the place up. Oh, maybe ask if there were any complaints from neighbors.

On the application, what you are looking for is basically debt to income, i.e. can they afford the place? That’s why it’s a good idea to run a credit check. Also, job history is important–how long on the job. If they can’t afford the monthly, see if someone can co-sign for them, a mother is good for that sort of thing. Oh, and pets—either no pets or pets must be interviewed–I just evicted a family with 3 pitballs. They preferred being out on the street to getting rid of the dogs. At any rate, I’ve had the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to tenants, but these people were the tenants from hell.

I don’t understand what kind of questions could be illegal? You can’t discriminate according to race, creed, color, or place of origin–but the only color you are looking for is green.

Landlord Questions - Posted by JohnFL

Posted by JohnFL on August 08, 2003 at 21:47:09:

Got two questions for all the experienced landlords out there.

1. What questions can you legally ask previous landlords, employers, references, etc, when screening potential tenants? I have a pretty thorough application and I want to be able to verify the information that’s on the application.

2. What questions do you ask on your rental application?

thanks,
John