Landlords and Laywers Question??? - Posted by Chris Rock

Posted by Doris - Va on January 15, 1999 at 19:56:28:

Chris - Forget paying him! He doesn’t have a leg to stand on. I see where you are coming from and I would have done the same - RUN - not walk away from them.

Anyway - you are going to be a great REI and you don’t need "FRIENDS (or room-mates) like that.
Stick with this site and you will do well.

Best wishes - Doris -Va.

Landlords and Laywers Question??? - Posted by Chris Rock

Posted by Chris Rock on January 14, 1999 at 14:14:23:

I was living with one of my friends and I just left for good reasons. He was having parties, doing drugs in the house and I didn’t wan’t to be there for it. I had to get up early and I wasnt getting any sleep and I was always tired at work. Also he hasn’t paid his part of the rent this month. So I got worried about being kicked out so I moved out. Now he says that he has his part of the rent and wants mine and if he doesn’t get it the company that rent out the apartments will come after me! (This is what he said, not the company) Now the thing is I moved in about 7 month into the lease and it was never in my name. They didn’t ask for an application. Can they come after me if my name was never on the lease?
Thanks,
Chris Rock

Thanks Everyone!!! - Posted by Chris Rock

Posted by Chris Rock on January 18, 1999 at 11:52:57:

Since I’ve moved, he has been looking for me and I called him and told him why I left and he was mad, of course. He really didn’t have much to say except I want my money and that his boss is smart and knows how to get the money from me in court. So I told him try to do that and good luck. Thanks everyone for your help.
Chris Rock

Drugs - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 15, 1999 at 11:26:32:

Chris,

Landlord has a SERIOUS incentive to evict drug-boy. Some federal and state laws provide for confiscation of property if drugs are found on it. Contract issues aside, landlord has little incentive to make the drug issue a matter of public record by going after you. Ditto that for drug-boy, if he has any brain cells left.

John Hyre

Re: Landlords and Laywers Question??? - Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila)

Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila) on January 15, 1999 at 06:30:39:

Chris:

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. The landlord will not come after you. Your exroomate would be crazy to and even if he did you would probably be fine. I could just see the small claims court and him outlining his pathetic case and you stating that you moved out as he was doing too much drugs. Next time pick your roommates a little more carefully.

Re: Landlords and Laywers Question??? - Posted by Sue (NC)

Posted by Sue (NC) on January 14, 1999 at 17:37:08:

If you didn’t sign a lease, I doubt the company would come after you. If you and your roommate had a verbal agreement, he might try to make a claim against you- but doubtful if you were leaving because of drug activity (I doubt he would want that to come out in court).

Re: Landlords and Laywers Question??? - Posted by Tim (Atlanta)

Posted by Tim (Atlanta) on January 14, 1999 at 14:24:28:

If your name was not on the lease, I don’t believe the apartment complex can come after you. This was simply an agreement between you and your roomate. If he did not get it in writing, there’s not much he can do. You only need to worry about him coming after you in small claims court, and if the agreement was verbal, he would have a hard time enforcing it.

Re: Landlords and Laywers Question??? - Posted by Chris Rock

Posted by Chris Rock on January 14, 1999 at 20:57:36:

He is already in trouble for stealing goods out of a car about a year ago. He is still on parol and is paying back the people he stole from. If I were to say that in court and they did a drug test he would fail miserably. That would cause even greater problems for him. I thought he had changed until about two months ago when he started up again. I guess you never really know someone???
Chris Rock

Posted by Chris Rock on January 14, 1999 at 14:33:21:

I never signed anything or made a verbal agreement to anything.
Chris Rock

Re: Landlords and Laywers Question??? - Posted by Doris - Va.

Posted by Doris - Va. on January 14, 1999 at 18:38:13:

Chris - You are in the clear as the other posts have outlined but if you lived there past the first of the month or whatever date the rent was due - don’t you have a moral obligation to pay your half. AND - you say you didn’t have a verbal agreement. How is that possible? You must have used verbal language to let him know when you first moved in that you would pay half the rent - else why have you been paying it?

My advice would be to pay your half of the rent but pro-rate it for the number of days you stayed there during this last month. Then you have fulfilled your part of the bargain and he has nothing to come after you for.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Doris - Va.

I agree with Tim - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 14, 1999 at 14:54:36:

It’s WAY unlikely that the landlord could tag you & your ex-roomie is going to have a hard time proving that any agreement existed AND that he didn’t violate it.

Posted by Chris Rock on January 14, 1999 at 20:52:34:

If I were to pay him for the days I stayed there this month it would be about 3 days worth. The other days I left the house and stayed somewhere else because of him doing drugs and such in the apartment and I did not want to be around it. I asked him to please stop doing in the house several times, but he just told me if I didn’t like it, I should leave when he is doing it. Thats not fair to me at all. To top it all off he had his girlfriend staying there and she did it when he wasn’t there to. So I couldn’t be in the house more than a couple of hours at a time. I would have left a month ago, but I didn’t have the money to leave at the time. Now I do and I did. I hate to do that but he has a problem with drugs and I’m not going to be there for that. I have a career and real estate to think about!
Chris Rock