legal challenges to florida property tax law - Posted by Paul

Posted by Paul on September 12, 2005 at 09:36:08:

How do I go about starting such a challenge? What kind of expense would be involved?

legal challenges to florida property tax law - Posted by Paul

Posted by Paul on August 26, 2005 at 08:22:48:

Hi,

I own a house in Florida. However, I am a resident of NY. Florida residents passed a “save our homes” section as part of their constitution. This allows their property tax to increase by a maximum of 3% per year. Non resident property owners are getting yearly increases from 15 to 30%. How can this be challenged?

Re: legal challenges to florida property tax law - Posted by abstract

Posted by abstract on September 11, 2005 at 22:40:36:

Maybe a suit under equal protection of the law, seems you might be able to make a case on two classes being treated differently?

Re: legal challenges to florida property tax law - Posted by STEVE

Posted by STEVE on August 30, 2005 at 12:50:08:

You could do yourself a favor an become a Florida resident. But the weather here is terrible, the bugs are the size of small cats and the Hurricanes are a problem. Also some residents do not like obnoxious people.
You must have purchased the house in Florida for some reason. Maybe you like to get out of that sh*tty NY weather. Therefore stop complaiming and either become a Florida resident or pay the taxes. OR sell and rent went you come to Florida.
Just my opinion as a Florida resident of over 20 yaers, after moving from the cold, dark, 3 day long summers of NY.

Re: legal challenges to florida property tax law - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on August 27, 2005 at 19:46:21:

You could sell it and then buy in an area that doesn’t appreciate so fast. I hear that in Detroit, the tax bill goes DOWN each year, along with the value of the property.

Re: legal challenges to florida property tax law - Posted by dealmaker

Posted by dealmaker on August 26, 2005 at 16:04:14:

Ah, the favorite ploy of elected officials (deadbeats/morons/incompetents). This is the old “tax the guys that can’t vote us out” deal. Hence every city has big taxes on rental cars, hotels rooms and other things patronized by “out of towners”. Since every city does this to the citizens of every other city it ends up being a zero-sum game.

We have a very similar situation here in TX. There is a “homestead limit” on reappraisals. Since non owner occuipied properties don’t have homestead exemptions their ppty taxes can go up any amount the CAD wants.

Just another venter here, I don’t have the answer other than to only own local ppty and make sure all elected officials know that you are a vocal, involved sunofagun.

dealmaker

Re: legal challenges to florida property tax law - Posted by River City

Posted by River City on August 26, 2005 at 11:49:23:

I would think that you would contact your Florida taxing authority (assessor) for your city/county and ask them how to appeal.