Long or short rental lease agreements? - Posted by HR

Posted by Jason-DTX on November 01, 1998 at 14:53:55:

I would also use the long form unless you are doing amonth to month rental.
In Texas there are laws that are good for the landlord, however they only apply if they are written in the lease. They also have to be bold or underlined. If the lease doesn’t have the proper language in the correct way, then you you can’t enforce the law to your best advantage. This only matters when you have a problem such as eviction and security deposits. You can usually get a good lease from your local Apartment Association. You don’t have to own apartments to be a memeber. Even if you just have single family homes as rentals its a good idea to join. It will also keep you up to date on the law. You will learn little things that can cost you big as far as liability. Example- In Texas all rental property must have a peep hole and KEYLESS deadbolts on all exterior doors, even the back door. It doesn’t sound like a big deal but if your tenant gets beat up by her spouse because she couldn’t lock him out of the house (keyless dead

Long or short rental lease agreements? - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on November 01, 1998 at 09:14:28:

Hi folks,

Another Landlording question for you: do you recommend long or short rental lease agreements? By long, I mean agreements that list LOTS of potential actions and their infractions. Or, do you use shorter agreements? And (if you use shorter), how do you cya for stuff not listed on the agreement?

I’m leaning toward the really long, inclusive agreement. Why not? May take a little longer to read and explain with the tenant, but I’d rather say more than less (and be clear about more than less).

Thanks for any imput; it is appreciated.

HR

PS. Thanks for the hot tips regarding the Landlording book by Robinson and Jeffrey Taylor’s Mr. Landlording materials; what great resources!

Thanks for the help (nt) - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on November 04, 1998 at 16:42:22:

ntt

Re: Long or short rental lease agreements? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 01, 1998 at 15:52:23:

I always use the long form. I always make sure an approved tenant has a chance to read it before they sign it (at least 24 hours). Then before we sign it I spend 20-30 minutes or so and go over the important stuff.

My lease has 39 paragraphs and is 8 pages long. I use front and back of a sheet of paper and 8 point type print so it ends up on 3 1/2 pages. It also says right above the tenants signature in large bold print “THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT. IF YOU DON NOT UNDERSTAND ANY PORTION OF THIS AGREEMENT, BEFORE SIGNING IT, SEEK THE ADVICE OF AN ATTORNEY” I figure this should protect me well.

Also at the top of my lease it says “STANDARD RENTAL AGREEMENT” (I also use that in my sales contract addendum to favor me “STANDARD ADDENDUM TO CONTRACT”) It is amazing how people just accept it as gospel if its typed and says “standard”.

my .02