Lonnie Deals in the winter - Posted by Bruce

Posted by KenS(WV) on October 15, 2003 at 07:41:43:

I really don’t think that the cold weather slows down sales much. Neither does the holidays. I ran an ad last year during Thanksgiving week…got 43 phone calls. Sold one home the day after Christmas.

The biggest thing is the added cost of heat. In the summer you have to mow (I pay my son or some park kids to mow the yards). In the winter there is no mowing but you have to remove snow and keep the pipes from freezing. The added cost of heat adds about $50 a month to my carrying cost for a home. Overall, costs me almost as much to mow the yard in the summer.

Good luck,
Ken

Lonnie Deals in the winter - Posted by Bruce

Posted by Bruce on October 13, 2003 at 11:29:55:

I have done 3 mobile home deals in the last couple years and all have been profitable. I know its not a lot of deals, but I have enjoyed them and made some good money. My question is I live in a state that it snows and gets quite cold in the winter. I have limited doing these deals to the warmer months. Has anybody had any success buying and selling in cold weather states during the winter.
I figure there are probably many good buys then. How much harder is it to sell when its cold. Any real life experience would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bruce

Re: Lonnie Deals in the winter - Posted by DaveB

Posted by DaveB on October 17, 2003 at 04:30:16:

Bruce,

I’ve done quite a few in the winter months. I prefer to buy in December. Sellers are motivated and will take much less because they hate to pay park rent, heat and electric bills as well as snow removal.

In January, February and March alot of people get nice tax refunds which in many cases is the only time of the year when they have a large down-payment.

The combination of motivated sellers and buyers with larger downpayments adds up to $$$.

DaveB
NY

Re: Lonnie Deals in the winter - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on October 13, 2003 at 19:27:41:

I have bought cheap in February and sold for a great price in March. But I started following the mh near the first of January.
Maybe the cold weather is a good time to scout and buy.
I don’t know about selling first hand.
Some on here have done it though.
Philip