Loose ceiling joists; sagging ceiling....anybody had experience with this type of repair? - Posted by Michelle

Posted by michelle on May 17, 2000 at 21:33:09:

Oh…I forgot to mention that the problem is only in the kitchen area; not throughout the whole home. :slight_smile:

Michelle

Loose ceiling joists; sagging ceiling…anybody had experience with this type of repair? - Posted by Michelle

Posted by Michelle on May 17, 2000 at 21:31:24:

Hi guys & gals!

Well, it looks like my first possible deal isn’t going to happen. She said she found a cash buyer to offer her more than me. I gave her my cash offer just in case the other buyer didn’t come through, so we’ll see.

Meantime, found another possible. I haven’t seen the inside yet as it was locked and the park owner didn’t have the key. The owner is an out of town dealer that wants to get rid of this last mobile home he has here. He told me to go ahead and “take a screw driver to it” tomorrow to get in. Hope nobody calls the cops on me as I stand there trying to break in!

Anyway, he said the only real problem with the home is that the joists above the ceiling have come loose and so the ceiling is sagging. He said all that needs to be done is to drop the ceiling panels out, readjust and tighten the joists and replace the ceiling. He said I could probably hire this done for $4-500. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, is his price for repair accurate? He did say there is nothing wrong with the roof structure itself; no leaks. I don’t think this particular problem was covered in DOW. (Loaned it to my sis, so I can’t check.)

I’d like to hear any suggestions any of you might have or if you feel this problem may be more extensive than he is indicating. I don’t think I could do this type of repair myself (I’m not even sure I’ll be able to “break in”…tips on this procedure also welcome!)

Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my pleas for help and advise! You all are great!

Michelle

(P.S. I asked him what he sold this home for and he told me he sold it for $6,500 9 months ago with the ceiling the way it is. The people who bought it were supposed to fix the ceiling in place of giving a down payment.)

Re: getting in the home - Posted by Pam WA

Posted by Pam WA on May 19, 2000 at 23:56:46:

I’d call a locksmith. One should be willing to open the unit if park manager is standing there saying it’s ok. Certainly would lower your liability (consider if you break the lock and unit ends up vandalized).
Ask the park manager who they have had work on units in the park, or call a dealer who also sells used units. Then get an opinion from this someone who knows a little more about how these boxes are put together! It may cost you a few bucks now, but it builds your knowledge base and could help you later!
Good luck.