Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by Robert(AL)

Posted by Robert(AL) on June 19, 1999 at 20:40:00:

Matthew,

I, too, am using a buyer agent, not the listing agent. But still, if I could get into the head of the seller, we could put together a win-win offer if there was any hint of flexibility in the seller. In this regard, I prefer to talk to the FSBO’s out there. You just never know what will happen when you get “belly to belly” with the seller. I just hope there are no punches thrown when they hear my first offer, LOL!

Robert(AL)

Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by Robert(AL)

Posted by Robert(AL) on June 19, 1999 at 19:07:16:

When making offers on properties through an agent, how can you find out the sellers motivation (or lack thereof) since you are not dealing directly with the seller? By knowing this information, I believe I could better structure my offers so they will be accepted or know that there is no possibility for a good deal. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Robert(AL)

Re: Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on June 19, 1999 at 23:08:14:

Carlton Sheets suggests putting a clause in your offer which says you must be present when the offer is prensented to the seller. I have done this in the past. Sometimes it is possible and sometimes it just won’t fly.

Also, ask the realtor questions. All they can do is say sorry I can’t tell you that.

Lastly, if you make enough offers this shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I have found that what Redline said is generally the best indicator of motivation. Read what he said again.

Re: Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by Lon

Posted by Lon on June 19, 1999 at 22:32:55:

If you have established a working relationship with an agent then ask them to pull up all listings in their local MLS in the “remarks” section with the keywords: motivated seller, make or bring offer, lease/purchase etc…

Also have them pull all listings that are VKB “vacant key box”. These listings are vacant, and the majority of them have mortgages that need to be paid every month. Then have your agent search the tax records section of the MLS to see which listings have out of city or better yet out of state owner.
This will allow you to sort out the sellers that will be more open minded to a creative offer.

The key is to find the right agent with a creative financing background that is willing to take time out of their schedules to help you.

How do you find them?
Ask!!

Then take them to lunch :wink:

Lon
Broker/Tulsa Oklahoma

Re: Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on June 19, 1999 at 20:18:29:

Perhaps if you’re using a buyer’s agent, they might be in a better position to find this out, but you have to remember that the listing agent is representing the seller, and they’re about as likely to give you that info as the man in the moon! Of course, you could always phone or stop by and ask the seller directly; you might or might not get an answer. Another option is to ask the listing agent to determine before you make an offer whether the seller is open to an “investor” offer. If they reply negatively, you can move on.

Brian (NY)

Re: Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on June 19, 1999 at 20:16:49:

I too have had that concern. What I intend to do is to simply bypass the listing broker by getting my own broker to set things up. The listing broker represents the seller. So I am fairly certain the listing broker won’t help. I am hoping that by bringing in my broker where he can get half the commission will help.

Re: Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by Brad

Posted by Brad on June 19, 1999 at 20:15:15:

I say who cares about who the seller is, and what they think of your offer. I have 1 institution in mind when I make my offers. Hip Pocket National Bank and Trust. I make my offers based on what I want to make, not what the seller wants to hear. If you don’t get your offer accepted, just go make more!

Re: Making Offers on Properties Through RE Agents - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on June 19, 1999 at 20:05:04:

Usually, you will not find out much from the realtor representing the seller for obvious reasons. The only motivation you’ll detect will be through the way the listing is written, and the property is priced. The condition of the property may also tip you off.

RL