making two singles in a double wide - Posted by Donna Willis

Posted by TeddyB_SC on July 28, 2003 at 14:37:00:

Lyal,
I agree. The cost is not worth the finished product.
The only way to roof something like this safely is to use 4x4 posts placed around the homes to support the roof. I have seen this done several times over single-wides. The cost was probably more than the mobile was worth.

making two singles in a double wide - Posted by Donna Willis

Posted by Donna Willis on July 26, 2003 at 16:19:15:

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF PLANS ON MAKING A HOUSE BY PUTING TWO SINGLEWIDES TOGETHER TO MAKE A DOUBLE WIDE, THEN MAKING IT LOOK LIKE A REGULAR HOUSE? IF YOU KNOW OF WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT OR WHERE TO GET THE PLANS PLEASE E-MAIL ME DIRECT. THANKS DONNA WILLIS

Re: making two singles in a double wide - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on August 03, 2003 at 10:58:19:

Definitely NOT any kind of dumb question!

In fact, I know of a local architect who did this, keeping the MHs a few feet apart, building a breeze-way, garden, in between them, with a roof over the open part in the middle, and then building a nice looking free standing wall in front to kind of unify & give privacy. A great looking home, once he was finished.

I’d bet one might find plans for this in one of the Home & Garden type magazines, also on internet.

Re: making two singles in a double wide - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on July 27, 2003 at 07:42:22:

Donna,
I think this would be a tremendous undertaking and hardly worth the cost. Unless you get 2 of the exact model, you’ll have problems with the dimensions not being the same (length, height…). I can see problems with the 2 halves shifting unless you put them on a foundation (VERY expensive) I’d think you’d need to re-roof over the whole thing and unless you put in supports all the way to the ground (and down past the frost line) you’ll have problems as the structure isn’t built to hold the extra weight of the roof.
I can go on and on but… why not just used the principles taught here to find a used double wide for a really good price? If you have a lot to put it on, can provide the labor for the tear-down and set-up you can end up with a nice home for a very modest price.
All the best, Lyal

Re: making two singles in a double wide - Posted by Donna Willis

Posted by Donna Willis on August 03, 2003 at 16:28:18:

THIS SOUNDS REALLY NEAT, I REALLY LIKE THE GARDEN AREA. I GOT A FEELING WE MIGHT GIVE THIS A SHOT. THANKS DONNA

Re: making two singles in a double wide - Posted by Donna Willis

Posted by Donna Willis on July 27, 2003 at 08:25:08:

thank you for your time, in answering me. the whole idea is that i own a few mobils and would like to use them for some people that are needing a home,that is larger than a single. i have seen it done before and they have turned out very nice. i just need the instructions. thanks

Re: making two singles in a double wide - Posted by TeddyB_SC

Posted by TeddyB_SC on July 27, 2003 at 22:27:00:

Donna,
I think this is something you would have to “wing it” as you go. I have’nt heard of any “plans,” since each one would be different depending on the size and layout of the mobile home.
I am not sure why you received so much grief over a simple question. I have seen this type of construction done numerous times. In addition, I have seen people build a house around a mobile home and then tear out the mobile home. You would never know the difference.
Back to your question. I don’t believe that the homes have to be the same length or height. Both of these can be adjusted for in the construction.
Here are some of the basics that I would do:
1)remove the siding, doors, and windows from both homes where they will join.
2)set both homes and bolt the frames together.
3)roof over both homes.
4)tie in electric and plumbing.
4)finish the interior i.e., finish doorways, cover over unneeded window openings.
These are the basics that I can think of. I have never done this and think that if you were to do it “right” it would be costly. Moving two homes, electric and plumbing tie ins, roof construction, etc.
I think that this type of construction is best left for someone that already has one home in place and plans on doing “all” the work themselves.

Good Luck

Re: making two singles in a double wide - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on July 28, 2003 at 06:33:50:

Teddy,
One of the major problems here is number 3. Single wides are not built to support the weight of a roof-over. Another problem is if the homes are set on piers instead of footings below the frost line. The weight will be supported unevenly and cause structural problems.
I agree it can be done but unless you’re really handy and have access to “cast off” materials, the effort and expense is way more than what the final product is worth. Keep in mind Donna was looking to provide housing for a single mom. A complete rebuild is over-kill for that.
Lyal