Marketing Idea Of The Month - Posted by Tim Jensen

Re: What text do you place on your signs? - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 10, 2002 at 15:31:17:

JR,

I have to agree with what Brandi said. You can’t base your decision on just what I use. Heck, I started using them myself because of hearing so many others were using them and getting good results. But it wasn’t because of any one person in particular.

As far as getting results that will depend on your market area, how often you put them out, how many you put out at a time, the types of deals you are willing and able to do, how well you can talk to potential sellers, how motivated they are, and on and on. There are just to many variables involved as to how well any one marketing method may work for you. You can put out the same number of signs each week as someone else does, but the number calls will vary, the callers will vary as to what their motivation is, the types deals they have to offer will vary, your own criteria will vary, the risks you’re willing to take will vary, etc. So there is no way you can compare the results of what one person is getting to what results you may get. But over all using bandit signs seems to generate more calls than any other method of advertising I’ve used and that seems to be the same results being reported by others that are using them. That is pretty much why I started using them. To get my phone to ring generating more calls!

As far as what my signs say, mine are the same as JimFL and MattB’s signs.

WE BUY HOUSES
We Take Over Payments
No Equity, No Problem
We Will Buy Or Lease Your House
No Commissions/Fees
XXX-XXX-XXXX

My signs are bright yellow with black print. They stand out really well and you can see them from a distance with no problem. In fact, I noticed that the farther you stand away from them the more easier you could read them! What I mean is they stand out better from 20 feet away than being 5 feet away.

This could also be part of the reason all the ones I put out on stakes vanish so quickly also. Everyone passing by will see the things which means it will catch the attention of those that don’t like seeing them for one reason or another and so they take them.

I also use the 18x24 size sign and I put out between 20 - 50 per week, depending on how much I feel like working that weekend. LOL

The ones I place on telephone poles last longer for some reason, but those also seem to generate a lot less calls than the ones that are put out on stakes.

You will just have to play around with it and determine which methods work best for you in your area.

Oh WOW… - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on March 09, 2002 at 12:05:54:

“If you use them, I know that I will be using them a lot more.”

Why would the simple fact that JohnBoy uses them make you more likely to do so as well?

I can understand respecting someone so much that you want to emulate them, but making your decision solely on the knowledge that he does or doesn’t do something may be unwise. (Not to mention the fact that it reminds me of a newly popular Hanes underwear commercial. LOL)

Anywho, just a bit of un-asked for advice: Place more value on your own ability to make informed decisions. If you are smart enough to choose REI as your income source… then you are smart enough to base your marketing decisions on something more rational than JohnBoy’s choices. (No offense to JohnBoy, LOL, I am really NOT trying to deminish your fan base - hehehe)

Brandi_TX

Re: My diatribe about laws re: bandit signs (long) - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 07, 2002 at 11:35:48:

The reason I like being a lawyer is because I chose the noble and just course of defending the taxpayer! Not only do you have to buy drinks, you have to give me about five of them BEFORE I speak…things will be much more interesting that way, LOL.

John Hyre

Re: And another thing… - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on March 06, 2002 at 18:13:00:

I agree. The trick is finding the balance between everyone’s hot buttons…that’s where the law and the enforcement thereof come into play…our imperfect system is the best so far…though lack of complaints over poor enforcement in some areas implies that those locals aren’t TOO annoyed- which annoys ME!

John Hyre

Re: Oh WOW… - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on March 10, 2002 at 15:34:13:

I agree and no offense taken. You gave good advice.

In fact, for some reason I just don’t feel completely whole without knowing I have you as my number one fan! :slight_smile:

What do you say, wanna be President of my fan club??? LOL

And I’ll buy 5 more… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on March 07, 2002 at 12:16:55:

then you might even like Signs…

I did hear Houston was pretty bad…

I’ve never seen it like that here in Dallas…

David Alexander