May be my first purchase - Posted by Trudy

Posted by Trudy on April 29, 1999 at 11:48:15:

Thank you Bill, for the encouragement. I’m calling the neighbor to get the owners phone number right now!

May be my first purchase - Posted by Trudy

Posted by Trudy on April 29, 1999 at 09:59:23:

I have called on a house that said “owner transferred” The owner has already moved and the neighbor is taking the calls. She said the owner will help pay the closing. Also, the owner might come down in price, $68,000. The owner only lived there for 2 years so not much equity. I drove by. It has good curb appeal. It is a 3 bdrm 1 bath, with unfinished basement plumbed for another bathroom and studs are there for finishing rooms. A fenced back yard. In a nice neighborhood. It is rented to friends of the owner, college students that may leave next month when school is out. I know I need to talk to the owner, but I don’t want to sound like the “newbie” that I am. What now???

Sounding like a newbie - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on April 29, 1999 at 14:22:56:

Don’t worry about it. I mean, this other guy isn’t Donald Trump or anything, he’s just an average guy that owns a house and needs to sell it. All you have to do is be willing to solve his problems and he’ll appreciate you and help you help him.

Re: May be my first purchase - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on April 29, 1999 at 11:11:09:

Trudy,

Everyone on this site certainly understands your apprehensiveness at contacting the seller for your first deal. No one wants to sound like a “newbie”. However, until you make several contacts, you run the risk of sounding “new”. You MUST pay your dues and jump this hurdle. Let me tell you about MY experiences with contacting motivated sellers.

I, too, was afraid of sounding “untested” and “inexperienced”. You know what I discovered? If a seller really wants to remove themselves from a property, you are their savior. They will help you through the unknowns in order to get you to solve their problem.

You haven’t provided enough information for us to tell you whether or not this particular home is a good deal for you. If you feel that it is, find comps on the property and decide what you want to do with the it (L/O, flip, rent, etc.). While you’re doing this research, contact the seller as soon as possible. If you don’t, someone else will!

Remember, even if you lose out on this one, you will learn something that will make you feel less like a “newbie” the next time. And, that’s the joy of growing in this business. You’ll become an “expert” in no time.

Good luck on your deal. MAKE THAT CALL TODAY! Let us know how it all turns out.

Bill K. (AZ)