Mechanics Lein - Posted by Rob

Posted by Josh on August 29, 2003 at 08:43:23:

You should probably hire a lawyer to advise you of your rights under your state’s mechanics lien laws. Each state’s laws take different form, so this is one instance where it does pay to have a lawyer on your side.

In my state (Missouri), once a notice of lien is recorded, the contractor has another six months in which to file suit to enforce his or her lien, or the lien expires. The contractor must provide notice of the lien in accordance with Missouri’s statutes, and/or record notice of the lien in the public records. Other specific, detailed requirements must also be met for the lien to be considered valid.

Hope this helps.

Mechanics Lein - Posted by Rob

Posted by Rob on November 15, 2002 at 14:07:19:

Is it possible to put a mechanics lein against a general contractor working on your property. If so, how do I go about doing it?
Any help would be helpful.
Thank you

Re: Mechanics Lein - Posted by Linda

Posted by Linda on July 08, 2003 at 21:24:10:

We have a construction Co. and have done a lot of extra work on the building. I have tried to get paid and the owner refuses to pay us. We built a convenience store for a man. He added to it and knew that it would be more money. There are a lot of the sub-contractors, rental people and utility company that want me to pay them but I have not received the money. What does it take to put a Mechanics Lein against the property? This is in the state of Texas. Any advise would be appreciated.

Re: Mechanics Lein - Posted by James Green, Jr.

Posted by James Green, Jr. on June 09, 2003 at 12:09:31:

Need information or forms on how to completely file a Mechanics Lein on my property.

Re: Mechanics Lein - Posted by River City

Posted by River City on November 18, 2002 at 08:35:32:

If you can prove that the contractor has done something wrong, you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in your area. If you are having a problem, sometimes the BBB can help you work it out with the contractor. You can also file the report online. The url is http://www.bbb.org/

Re: Mechanics Lein - Posted by Josh

Posted by Josh on November 15, 2002 at 15:18:18:

Maybe I am not understanding your question… but a lien is simply a charge upon property for the satisfaction of some debt owed to the lienholder. The lien gives the right to foreclose on the property, if the debt goes unpaid. You don’t get a mechanic’s lien against the contractor–the contractor gets the lien against you!

If you are having trouble with your GC, you might have other remedies… but you will have to tell us more about your situation.

Josh

Re: Mechanics Lein - Posted by Rodney

Posted by Rodney on July 11, 2003 at 16:37:48:

I’d bet it’s a foreigner that’s screwing you

Re: Mechanics Lein - Posted by Nicole

Posted by Nicole on August 28, 2003 at 23:37:40:

A contractor I hired has put a lien on my property. He says I owe him ridiculous money, but the job was never completed, nor is the part he performed satisfactory. What do I do? File a lien against him?

Re: Mechanics Lein - Posted by karen

Posted by karen on June 19, 2003 at 22:43:25:

i placed a mechanics lein on my landlord because she offered to sell the house to me and now that I spent labor reparing and upgrading the house, she now is selling it and i have to move. did i do the right thing and do i have any legal grounds for the lein?