Mice!!! - Posted by Sherry

Posted by Sherry on February 27, 2001 at 15:46:34:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will pay for the exterminator, because as mentioned she is a great tenant. Next time I will put a clause in the lease stating that tenants are responsible for pest/rodent control.

Thanks again guys.

Mice!!! - Posted by Sherry

Posted by Sherry on February 26, 2001 at 15:44:32:

Hello all,

My tenant is having a problem with mice. She wasn’t having any problems at all, and then once the weather changed, and the temp. dropped she started seeing droppings. To make a long story short One of the mice must have had babies, and we called an exterminator. The exterminator came in and treated the house, but he said that he should come back every month until the weather breaks. He is only charging $25.00 a visit, but do I pay the monthly fee, or just the initial? My tenenat is very clean and keeps the house neat so it really isn’t her fault, but what should I do?

Re: Mice!!! - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on February 27, 2001 at 21:03:25:

Sherry,

Putting a clause in the lease stating that tenants are responsible for pest/rodent control doesn’t always make it happen. I would add language giving you the right, after proper notice, to call an exterminator for them, and bill them as additional rent. Mandatory increase in security deposit, too.

Re: Mice!!! - Posted by Shenesa

Posted by Shenesa on February 27, 2001 at 14:53:02:

If this women is a good tenant and you have no problems with her than pay the $25 monthly fee for the exterminator. It makes more since to pay $25 for a few months than to lose $100’s of dollars a month because of a vacant apartment. Whose to say that the next tenant will be a good one. Cherish the one you have and take care of her concerns.

Shenesa

Re: Mice!!! - Posted by Jeffers CT

Posted by Jeffers CT on February 26, 2001 at 16:38:48:

Your lease should have a one sentence clause indicating that tenant is responsible for insect, rodent, and pest control.
Then, at your discretion, you can address the situation if you prefer to.