MLS on the Internet? - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by QuestionMan on May 18, 1999 at 21:49:02:

What is L.I.?

MLS on the Internet? - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 17, 1999 at 03:05:36:

It is funny how different topics flash in my mind at this late hour. But approximately a year ago, I had a student ask me about my thoughts of how to implement some Internet technology and design a system that would make a huge database system available to more people and to better serve their existing clients. They wanted to make it web-based since it is now an accepted computing standard vs. the proprietary method they are currently using.

I asked him what the application/software system was and he proceeded to explain to me that it was some Listing Service of houses system and how his company’s livelihood was extremely dependent on this system.

The challenge was this:

The company wanted to make more money by providing better service to its clients (presumably Realtors) and to get the information to more people who wanted to pay for it.

The problem was if they made it web-based and “made it looser (not loose)”, that the service would become less valuable and that there were lots of security issues putting on the web. They were concerned the general public would get into it.

My point? At the time, I had no clue about Create RE and had little interest in R.E. period. It turns out, that little discussion I had with my student was some version of the MLS and it may have given me useful insights on what could happen in the near future. I didn’t realize the potential impact until tonight. Can you imagine that? The possibility of the MLS may be opened up a little more in the future without necessarily becoming a realtor? For all I know, the MLS may be accessible through the Web in some parts of the country and I am just not aware of it. To him in his geographical area, it was going to be something new.

Warning: This should not be treated as fact or definitive. But it is definitely not a rumor based on the source of info.

I haven’t been in contact with that student for 6 months. Hopefully, I will see him again now that the MLS has much more significance to me.

Re: MLS on the Internet? - Posted by BankRobber

Posted by BankRobber on May 17, 1999 at 10:04:31:

Some Board’s of Realtors already have their Listing Service available to members on the Web. Appropriate password/security information is generally required to access it. My local Board has its listing available on the Web and I am told the access is faster, but I never use it because the direct access lines are fast enough for me and I am already familiar with the search procedures on the original system. People have been working on variations of Web/BBS access for more than 15 years.

Re: MLS on the Internet? - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 17, 1999 at 11:29:32:

BBS or terminal access for 15 years maybe but not the web. The web as wwe know it today really didn’t come into existence until 1994 and didn’t hit mainstream until 1995. Web access is still a fairly new thing.

With more and more homes being listed on the Internet, it may be that the MLS will become less relevant since a different variation may spring up. However, “deregulating” the MLS is still an interesting and exciting possibility.

Re: MLS on the Internet? - Posted by AlanFL

Posted by AlanFL on May 17, 1999 at 13:06:33:

You can access all MLS listings on L.I., I imagine that there are other areas in this great country where you can access listings as well.