MLS - Posted by Mike

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on March 07, 2002 at 23:22:19:

Sometimes I forget, I am an agent. However, you can get access without the license with our local MLS. It requires a field in real estate of course and has conditions, but for the most part, it is used by those who have a license to be a real estate agent.

MLS - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on March 07, 2002 at 18:51:29:

I see the term MLS kicked around a lot on this site. I know the term means Multiple Listing Service (i think) What ones are everyone using and is this something i should be looking at to get started in REI.

thanks in advance

Re: MLS - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on March 07, 2002 at 19:06:59:

MLS is the generic term, but each area (city/state) may have their own setups. Mine represents most of Washington State and is NWMLS for Northwest Multiple Listing Service. Someone in Atlanta may be AMLS for Atlanta Multiple Listing Service.

It is a regional thing and what systems they use can vary around the country. This would be for how to access, the dues, the keys used, the rules, etc…

Think of it like a club. A bunch of realtors in Seattle have a club and all agents who want access to the systems will pay to be a member. Then let’s say 40 miles away there is a city called Tacoma and they have a club. An agent would join it to get access to it. So if they had a buyer in Seattle where they normally work, but wanted to sell their buyer a home in Tacoma 40 miles away, they need to join that club to get access to what listings may be available.

Now I don’t think you will find small MLS regions any longer. Instead, our Seatte, Tacoma, and most of Washington is on one big system. IE: ONE BIG CLUB for which it is in the Northwest. I suppose if it is not a state wide group (MLS), you will have smaller group(s) each having their own systems for dues, access, etc… The larger one is preferred so you only have to join one, but if you only deal in one city, you wouldn’t care how many systems were out there.

What ones are people using is going to depend on where they live and work and what organization is local to them. Should you look at it for REI, no. It is mainly for real estate agents and you do have costs involved to get to use it. If you get yourself an agent who you can work with, they can provide you with listings from it and help you sell if you need this help.

Re: MLS - Posted by JohnD-AR

Posted by JohnD-AR on March 07, 2002 at 22:55:09:

I thought you had to have a re licence to have access…