Mobie Home ID Tag question - Posted by Lee

Posted by Gator on April 18, 2000 at 08:37:52:

On the exterior rear of the home there is usually an approximately 3 inch by 2 inch metal HUD tag. They have an ID number and the first three letters usually indicate the state of manufacture. Sounds like yours made its way to you via The Bayou State. My past experience has been that although the government requires this tag with an identification number, no one keeps track of the numbers. Our tax dollars at work. Maybe your luck will be better than mine since the home isn’t all that old. You can try calling HUD in your state capital. Best of Luck.

Gator

Mobie Home ID Tag question - Posted by Lee

Posted by Lee on April 17, 2000 at 21:17:31:

Hi all

I found this ID tag on the back end of a MH, about 3 to 4 feet from the bottom of the outside wall.
Would this be the number that is shown on the title? (Or should I look elsewhere)

The number is “LOU 032952”. Is there a source of information that I can look up that will tell me the year, brandname, size etc. It occured to me that this number may not be orignal.

My tax assessor’s office database lists the MH on this one acre lot as a 1986 14 X 70 # “TRL 13530431V”.

The MH and the land are for sale and if I don’t buy it, both the land and MH will be sold in 2 days.

Can you say… Lonnie deal?

Please help!, Thanks

Lee

Re: Mobile Home ID Tag question - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on April 18, 2000 at 09:37:28:

Lee,

This is the second question I’ve heard this week about dataplates for mobile homes… is there a national audit underway? (just kidding)

Serial numbers for mobile homes are notoriously hard to find. The most reliable location for many years was on the frame (not the hitch) on the right side of the front of the home. Often the number stamped there will correspond to the serial number, but often not.

Many homes have a dataplate (a paper sticker actually) found in any one of several locations. Popular places are the back of a kitchen cabinet door, behind a closet door, on the back of the door on the circuit breaker box, and behind the furnace door. The plates include information about the home such as the temperate zone of manufacture, the manufacturers name and location, electrical load specs and wind loads, and yes, often the serial number, but again, often not. Sometimes the model number of the unit contains a simplified code as to size. (example: MOD# FHI6014NC84, might designate a 14x60 manufactured in a NC plant, maybe by Fleetwood Housing, Inc., maybe in 1984). Again, there was no standard location or format for the data. If you really do need the info, and you do find the plate, and if it does have some info on the manufacturer, then I would contact that manufacturer to get whatever info they may have.

I wouldn’t sweat it if you can’t find the number. Whatever number is on the title is the number that will be used, regardless of whether you can find it on the home.

Hope this helps,

ray

Re: Mobie Home ID Tag question - Posted by jGator

Posted by jGator on April 18, 2000 at 08:50:41:

It sounds to me like you are describing the HUD Id tag. 2X3 inch metal tag on the exterior rear of the home? The first 3 letters indicate the state of manufacture. Sounds like yours got there via the Bayou State. My past experience has been that while HUD requires the tag with the number on all mobile homes, they do not bother to keep track of the numbers. Our tax dollars at work. Maybe you will have better luck since the home is not all that old. You can try calling the HUD office in your state capital. Best of Luck.

Gator