mobile home lemon law - Posted by Ian Clark

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 21, 2003 at 22:17:35:

…fraud in the inducement? Isn’t that grounds for recission? What about material misrepresentation, or concealment of material facts. If there is no meeting of the minds there may be no contract. Sometimes “as is” means your ‘as’ is mine, in court.

Don’t placate, litigate: for fun and profit.

:~)

Regards, doc

mobile home lemon law - Posted by Ian Clark

Posted by Ian Clark on September 20, 2003 at 19:01:01:

Just curious.
I recently bought a 40yr old m/h from some one i worked with. instead of checking things out, i trusted her word. i have since had to replace the burner and hotwater geyser. i did sign a deocument that i was buying as is( taking my trust in her into account). do i
have any recourse for getting some of my expenses back?
i have been here since 8/15/2003. the m/h is in wells, me.

Re: mobile home lemon law - Posted by jason stephens

Posted by jason stephens on October 14, 2003 at 18:08:41:

I PURCHASED A NEW MOBILE HOME FROM CLAYTON HOMES IN 2001 EVERY SINCE I PURCHASED IT EVERYTHING IS FALLING APART. I CALL THE MANUFACTURER THEY GIVE ME THE RUNAROUND THEY SAY WE’LL SEND A TECH OUT TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM BUT THE PROBLEMS KEEP POPPING UP. I WAS WONDERING WHAT I COULD DO I DONT WANT THIS MOBILE HOME WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS I’M HAVING.

“AS-IS” means “AS-IS”… - Posted by Chuck

Posted by Chuck on September 21, 2003 at 19:47:13:

…and while you may have trusted her word on certain things being a certain way during her sales pitch… you signed a document that stated you were buying it “as-is”… any needed repairs are your expense, you have no recourse with her.

Welcome to Being a Homeowner - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on September 21, 2003 at 09:38:01:

You are no longer a tenant. You bought a 40 year old home “as is.” You likely received a cheap price because you took the risk. Well, 40 year old anythings need work from time to time. Mobile homes are no different.

Check your state Lemon Law and you will likely find that such statute will address NEW homes. With new homes, people expect things to work and pay a premium for that right. They are paying retail for a new home so as not to take the risk.

Hot water heaters go bad on old homes, floors get soft, faucets leak, roofs leak etc. but that is the burden homeowner’s bear. They have these things fixed.

Tony

Never give up. Try a back door approach. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 21, 2003 at 09:23:09:

Admittedly this one is a long shot but I would check it out if I were you.

Check your county records to learn if she has any judgments against her. If she does, check to see if she has any leviable assets. If it is affirmative on both you might buy one of the judgments at a NICE discount (meaning 25 cents on the dollar or less) and then have your sheriff attach the assets and hold a sale. You might get lucky and surprise the daylights out of her, when a tow truck passes by with your (her former) car on the hook. I NEVER give up when someone snookers me.

I’ve been chasing one guy for 28 years now and I think I just about have him. He is a judgment-proof, penniless deadbeat and has been all of his life but I keep renewing my judgment every 10 years. I found out that his elderly mother owns a house in another county and recorded my judgment there too. Guess what? He is an only child and mon is about to croak anyday. My judgment will attach to the house he inherits and because it is about a 75 year old house in a small rural town, I calculate that with 28 years interest at 10%per year, compounded, I will not only get ALL of the house but he will still owe me some, and I will still chase him, right to the grave. Boy is he going to be surprised when I inherit his mom’s house. :~)

Then I’ll still look to see if he had any estate hidden from view when he dies and try to collect the remainder from it, if possible.

Ian, I am a former debt collector. You don’t want to owe ME money. I find the chase very stimulating.

Regards, doc

Re: mobile home lemon law - Posted by John Smith, IV

Posted by John Smith, IV on September 20, 2003 at 21:49:05:

Nope!

lemonade - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 20, 2003 at 19:14:31:

Ian, usually as is means as is. It is on you to inspect the place.

Recourse? Tell her of the problems, and ask her to help with the expense.

She doesn’t have to , but she might.