Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by batpro

Posted by Ryan (NC) on June 12, 2007 at 19:16:18:

Quit buying the $4 jig saw blades. I too use a utility knife and a straight edge to score, flip the sucker over and snap it like drywall. Works like a charm!

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by batpro

Posted by batpro on June 11, 2007 at 06:58:14:

I am considering buying a 1978 14x70 2br with two stall garage on a 50x142 lot. It was listed for $28,900 for now it is reduced to $24,000. I may submit an offer of $15,000. The garage is pretty nice and the neighborhood is good, there is a new old peoples assisted living center across the street and a brand new construction home bordering the lot.

The mobile home itself needs some work. All the Windows are in really bad condition for a Northern Minnesota climate.

Where is the best place to get Mobile home replacement windows. The ones that are in there look like camper crank out windows. They seem worthless for Northern Minnesota winters. Where do I find better quality windows reasonable for a 1978 unit?

The floor has some soft spots in the washer/dryer area and entrance.

There does not seem to be any plastic barrier under the home there is hanging insulation. What do I do about that?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I would have to go before the city board to ask to replace the unit with a newer model

Adam

My Take On Windows - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on June 12, 2007 at 05:48:53:

Windows are an easy way to over spend on rehabs in lower end homes, the windows have been there and in use for years… You need to make the home safe and livable but don’t try to bring it to your living standards, most folks living in lower end units will simply place plastic over the windows and call it done!

If the window is an odd size and functional but the glass is broken etc. I refuse to special order them… I buy a piece of plexy glass and cut it to fit the interior dimension of the glass insert, remove all old glass (wear safety glasses), dry fit the plexy to test fit, apply clear silicon to the plexy and pop it back in and seal with more silicon. Cost $15-20 vs. $120+ for special order.

For standard size windows it’s a toss up between replacing and re-glassing (both take me about 30 min, cost vs value normally decides), with the old crank outs I prefer to replace them in the front and common areas where I can to update the home. Blevins and your local MH supplier both carry them, shop between the two and see if it’s worth ordering them from blevins.

For the belly issues I’m really taking a liking to Tony’s insulation panels, they fit nicely and go up fast. They also make a silver bubble wrap type insulation that staples up nicely for larger areas but I’d add regular insulation as well up north.

To those going to boot camp, pay special attention to the fine details of Scott and Tony’s homes. They aren’t perfect! This simple concept and seeing it in person was hands down one of the biggest payoff’s for me attending BC the first time around… My average rehab cost have dropped from 2500ish to 800-1500 per unit, that’s a savings of 1000+ per unit because I quit over doing my repairs!

My simple rehab checklist is:
Remove trash and any nasty carpet
Fix holes in floors
Fix any broken windows
KoolSeal if needed
paint anything that needs painted with kilz
replace any bad floor coverings
clean the dickens outa the house (especially windows & the kitchen)
STOP - Sell/Rent - Repeat

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

Re: Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by land-o

Posted by land-o on June 11, 2007 at 18:48:20:

I get my windows custom ordered from an outfit that gets them in Boise, the factory there makes them to fit any size you want. Order them Tuesday get them the next Friday (about 10 days), just plain double hung double glazed white plastic windows, pull the old one out, install the new one in 15 minutes!

they delivered a pile today (about 22 of them) to redo two old trailers I am fixing, and cost about 80 per window.

If you call around your area I am sure there is a window factory there too.

Re: Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on June 11, 2007 at 18:24:24:

The vertical sliders on page C-26 of their catalog cost between $30 and $50 depending on size, and are standard replacement windows for the crank outs that are always broken. They install with putty tape and screws from the outside, just like the crank outs.

You can also buy interior storm windows just as cheap.

Karl

Re: Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by batpro

Posted by batpro on June 11, 2007 at 09:25:06:

Are there insulated mobile home windows aviabable for 1978 units? Please share any sources you may have for these, thanks. The existing camper type windows seem worthless in Northern Minnesota

safety issues - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on June 12, 2007 at 17:48:58:

My checklist is similar to Ryan’s but also includes:

-rewire if the home is pre-1976 or has fuses
-test and replace leaky plumbing if necessary

The thing I learned from bootcamp that really stuck out in my mind was the fact that Scott would recarpet and use no pad- that really is a money-saver and never would have occurred to me.

See you all in August,

Anne

Re: My Take On Windows - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on June 12, 2007 at 13:53:41:

May I ask, how would power washing compare/fit the list?

I have the power washer, and would just need to buy the washing fluid.

so, is power washing in your opinion overkill, good idea, or next step if not selling?

Brenda (the current queen of overdo, but trying to recover…)

Re: My Take On Windows - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on June 12, 2007 at 11:57:30:

Hey Ryan. What works best for cutting plexiglass? I’ve tried a jigsaw with plexi blade, small circular saw with a special blade and a hacksaw…none did an outstanding job. Just wondered if you had a secret or is there someting I’m missing?

Thanks!

-Berno

Rehab Checklist is GOLD!! - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Don-NY on June 12, 2007 at 09:05:53:

Ryan,
That rehab checklist is pure gold! (short concise and to the point) I may have it tatoo’d on my forehead backwards. So I see it every day :wink: Plus I need to show it to my Partner (wife).

Re: My Take On Windows - Posted by osupsycho (OK)

Posted by osupsycho (OK) on June 12, 2007 at 06:59:36:

Ryan,

You might check around to see if you can find a company that does glass cutting. I can usually get panes of glass cut to fit any size window for about the same you are spending on plexyglass (sometimes less).

As far as the rest of what Ryan says I completely agree and have been down that road. We all have a tendency to overfix but for most lonnie deals it just isn’t worth it. Make is safe and livable and sell it. If it doesn’t sell after some time then you might start doing some other things but try to sell it with only basic repairs first.

Jad

Re: Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on June 11, 2007 at 11:05:01:

Why not just get replacement windows?

I had a mobile with a few broken window. One was a size they had a Home Depot. The other two were special sizes. A local window shop specaial ordered them for me and I was supprized how inexpensive they were (only about 20% more than the similar sizes at home depot).

I think I got medium sized windows…double paine, with screens for under $130.00

Gene

Re: Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on June 11, 2007 at 09:30:59:

Check the archives, replacing windows in old MHs has been covered extensively. It’s pretty easy.

Anne

the overkill is in the soap - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on June 12, 2007 at 17:21:49:

what’s the point? Presoak, then blast away!

Hour later, sparkly shine!

Re: My Take On Windows - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on June 12, 2007 at 20:42:38:

Utility knife idea sounds like a good one. I’ve been using a paneling blade in a Skil Saw. Make a lot of “saw dust” w/ static cling, but it does get the job done.

Michael(KCMO)

Re: My Take On Windows - Posted by Jen

Posted by Jen on June 12, 2007 at 13:31:18:

Score with firm pressure with a sharp utility knife then snap.

Re: My Take On Windows - Posted by RoyD(Al)

Posted by RoyD(Al) on June 12, 2007 at 14:19:43:

We haven’t finished a rehab yet. If it’s real nasty we clean up the worst of the nasty, stick a sign in the yard and then commence with the rehab. Starting with the worst looking or safety issues first. All have sold before the rehab was complete. Maybe it’s our market.

Re: Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by batpro

Posted by batpro on June 11, 2007 at 12:49:38:

I have replaced over 100 windows myself in the past few years on single family homes but I haven’t ever bought or purchased any for Mobile homes. I’ll take measurements and see what sizes they are.

Re: My Take On Windows - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on June 12, 2007 at 13:39:44:

Ahhh…just like drywall, huh? If that’s the way to do it, I’ll quit buying the $4 jigsaw blades!

-Berno

Re: Mobile Home on Land needs windows - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on June 11, 2007 at 13:11:15:

I think Tony or Steve posted some info in detail about removing and replacing old MH windows. Made it seem real easy (and cheap). It’s certainly easier than replacing windows in stick-built homes.

I always paid someone to do that work for me, but it was never outrageous in cost, and certainly will help you sell this home in that climate.

Anne