Mobile Home Park question - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on February 22, 2000 at 12:33:16:

In this case, I am the park so the lot rent is owed to me. And I want the mobile. (To do what you would do, sell it ala Lonnie and keep it in the park for the lot rent). What can I expect to see at the auction? Any other bidders? Will I be able to get it for (basically) nothing? All cash bids in person only?

Thanks Dirk,

Mark

Mobile Home Park question - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on February 21, 2000 at 20:46:34:

What happens if someone fails to pay lot rent in my park and they own the mobile home. Obviously, I get an eviction. What is the ultimate outcome if they refuse to leave?
If it is an apartment or a SFR I own, then the sheriff comes and locks them out and I store their belongings. If it’s a mobile home I own then I repo it. What if it is their mobile on my land? They have the right to be in the mobile home but no longer have the right to have the mobile home on my land. How do I ultimately get that mobile off my land? Or better still, can I place a lien on the mobile home and keep it on my lot for back lot rent?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Mobile Home Park question - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on February 22, 2000 at 20:34:39:

Don’t know about CA. We are required to file an eviction, and if we get it (don’t say win here), we can place a lien on the mh (could be 2nd position, then we are screwed), then force the sale, if possible. In short, it’s a bad scene for the land owner, unless you are willing to pay for the move. If so, you are only required to move it to the nearest right of way.

David S

In CA…Yes, that is exactly what happens - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on February 21, 2000 at 21:41:24:

Hi Mark,
I cannot count the number of times that I have picked up used mobile homes from this type of situation.
In CA what happens most of the time is the mobile will go to auction, proceeds going to the park (to cover past due space rent).
The people are always long gone. and they DID NOT take their mobile with them, because if they couldn’t pay the space rent then they couldn’t pay the 3k to move and set up the home in another park. Also I doubt if any other parks would even take them.

So it goes to auction and then I sweep in and buy it up. The Parks know me and what I do, so then I simply sell the home to a nice buyer on payments (aka…Lonnie method) and enjoy some pretty nice cash flow, for almost nothing.
So everyone is happy.
Hope that helps,
Dirk

Re: Mobile Home Park question - Posted by jason_ga

Posted by jason_ga on February 21, 2000 at 21:20:59:

you can obtain a court order for them to move the trailer from your land, also you can file a lien for any back rent due