Mobile Home with Central Air - Posted by Sam

Posted by ScottH on July 13, 2003 at 20:33:36:

Sam,

Most older mobile homes have what is called a Package Unit AC. This means that the unit is self-contained, and there is no coil inside the furnace inside. The cold air is transferred to the inside thru large flexible ducts. A normal home unit will not work because it will need a coil.

If it is in a good park and you are providing the financing, ask for 4500 or so and then drop down.

Just a thought…

Scott

Mobile Home with Central Air - Posted by Sam

Posted by Sam on July 13, 2003 at 18:16:36:

I recently bought a Mobile Home for 1500.Its a 1975 2 bed 2 bath mobile home 12x60.The only main problem with the mobile home is that its central is frozen up becuase of lack of use past few years.I am thinking of replacing it before selling it.I found an Air conditioner, Rheems, 2- ton central heat & air. Works good. in one of the local newspapers.Can I install this in the mobile home?Do anyone see a problem in this approach or feel I need to go for a new central air?This unit Iam talking of is costing 200 and in good condition.I also need to pay for having it fixed I guess,as I dont know how to fix it.

Or I just sell the mobile home for say 2000 or 2500 as is?
The mobile home is in a great park though…

Thanks for all your responses on this

Re: Mobile Home with Central Air - Posted by Tennessee Bob

Posted by Tennessee Bob on July 14, 2003 at 07:09:21:

Sam,
Before replacing the unit, get a HVAC repair guy to look at the unit currently in the MH. While I am NO expert, the most common cause for a unit to freeze up is being low on freon. You may get by just having it recharged. In my opinion, the $100 or so for a technecian to check the unit my save you alot of aggrivation.

Good luck & GOD Bless

Tennessee Bob

Re: Mobile Home with Central Air - Posted by Joe C.

Posted by Joe C. on July 13, 2003 at 23:56:41:

As Scott said “package units” (totally self contained)are very common in MH’s. “Split systems” (unit outside-coil inside furnace) are also common. Is the unit you are looking at the same type as is now in the home? If they are both “package” and you know the replacement works it should be no problem. If they are both “split” and the tonnage (2 ton)is the same, you can use the existing coil in the home. Again, should be no problem. If the are both “split” and the tonnage is different, you will need the proper coil to match your unit and it must also match your furnace set-up. This could add significantly to the cost. Any competant HVAC technician should be able to tell you if the components you have are compatable. They may try to tell you that installing a used unit is risky, but I’ve done it many successfully times and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again, if I trusted the seller of the used unit and was assured it worked when last operated.
Joe C. (AR)