Monkey off my back...lessons learned...experience gained! - Posted by chris_wa

Posted by Ernest Tew on May 04, 2000 at 05:17:31:

Talking to a few park residents is excellent advice. I’ve had similar problems with park managers. They can make it very difficult to do business in the park if they choose to do so.

Monkey off my back…lessons learned…experience gained! - Posted by chris_wa

Posted by chris_wa on May 02, 2000 at 11:07:09:

Well, guess i have to chalk this one up to the ole “learning experience.” Back in Feb when people weren’t buying and i was walking around with cash in my pocket, i bought a really nice 14x70 2bd all appliances in excellent condition for 3 grand. I’m telling you i had visions of flipping it the next week for 6.5 k or carrying a contract for at least 10k. i sat down with the park manager and she was very open to my ideas about financing the home, bringing her good tenants and me doing many deals in her park. WOW! i was so psyched…there were many many homes in that park for sale and it just seemed like people were desperate to get out! (that should have been my first clue…) This park is pretty darn far out of my circle, but i figured if that’s where the action was gonna be then i needed to be there!

anyway, just sold the home this week…after 3 months of lot rent(plus one half of may to make the deal fly!), electric bills, and mainly my wasted TIME going back and forth to that place…i got it sold and the deal is done. whew! talk about an exercise in patience! i sold that home at LEAST 8 times…4 CASH buyers…and every single one was rejected. Yes, i did have several conversations with the park manager. in fact, it got to a point that i thought she may be discriminating on age. i sent two nice young couples down and both were rejected with what i felt were pretty unreasonable excuses. but instead of rocking the boat i set in my mind that i would give her one more chance before filing a complaint. turns out my chance came last week when a young single mom showed up on my doorstep. time to fish or cut bait. well…got her thru the park credit checks and now she lives happily in that beatiful little mobile. i ended up selling it for a paper loss. but i sure did learn a lot from this escapade.

-if there are tons of homes for sale in a park, find out why from the residents! go to their doorsteps and ask about the management in the park.
-Tons of experience showing mobiles and screening on the phone! even held a few open houses(that works great!)

so happy to finally end this deal. i won’t be back in that park unless management changes hands someday and i have plenty of time to watch the park and find out how fast homes are moving.

we ended with 3500 cash and a nice little 4x4 truck. i am pretty happy just to be out of that darn thing…in the end…i knew what it felt like to be a motivated seller! i guess i gained some insight into the psychi of them as well…

thanks for listening to my rantings…
chris_wa

Re: Monkey off my back…lessons learned…experience gained! - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on May 03, 2000 at 16:20:03:

Well, What color, make, model, and year is the truck? Can you get it to Dallas. How much for the Truck, How much down and how much a month. It doesnt have to be a loss.

:slight_smile:

David Alexander

Hey Chris? - Posted by Ben Buckley

Posted by Ben Buckley on May 02, 2000 at 17:04:37:

Hey Chris you replied to my post a few days ago and said for me to call you and I just have one question, What time is the best time for me to call you?

Thanks, Ben

Re: Monkey off my back…lessons learned…experience gained! - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on May 02, 2000 at 15:40:22:

Hi Chris,

Sorry about your problems with the PM, I’ve had the same problems. There’s a couple of parks in my area that I refuse to do business in because of the PM’s. So I just bad mouth the parks every time I get a chance. There’s enough cooperative PM’s that you don’t need the bad one’s. Just use this as a learning experience and move on to the next one.

Best wishes,

Lonnie

P.S. In parks like you mentioned, I try to buy a home that I can move to another park. Might not be the best thing to do, but it’s my way of giving them the one finger salute.

Re: Monkey off my back…lessons learned…experience gained! - Posted by CH-CA

Posted by CH-CA on May 02, 2000 at 12:53:57:

So the problem was the PM, not the MH or the park? Sounds like the PM was both unprofessional and disrespectful! And she turned all of your buyers down even after you two talked and came to a mutual understanding? Man, that’s too bad! I will take your lesson to heart and talk with the residents of a park before making any deals.

evenings are best (nt) - Posted by chris_wa

Posted by chris_wa on May 02, 2000 at 19:15:54:

nt

that was my next move… - Posted by chris_wa

Posted by chris_wa on May 02, 2000 at 18:58:17:

lonnie

that was my next move as well. i know of a nice park just down the road from there that WILL work with me. i was planning the lawsuit(forgot to mention that everyone they rejected were youngsters) and also moving the place. i would love nothing more than to give them the “one finger salute” as you call it! :wink: i certainly won’t be back there regardless of the deal and i’m with you…no glowing reports on that place will come from these lips!

on to the next one for sure!

thanks
chris_wa

Re: Monkey off my back…lessons learned…experience gained! - Posted by CH-CA

Posted by CH-CA on May 02, 2000 at 18:10:09:

Thanks Lonnie, I needed a good laugh! The metaphorical MH one finger salute! Actually, I’m sure you were serious, and buying and moving a mobile from a park with a bad PM is a good idea. Although I am only beginning in MHs, I’ll keep this in mind for future reference!

On another note, I just want to personally thank you for your support on this site! (I?m sure you get many thank yous) I?ve seen and met many professional investors who wouldn?t spend a second (waste a second to them) of their time with someone unless their was money involved. Your example is much needed and appreciated!

Clint Herman