More on mentoring... - Posted by Traveler

Posted by Mark on February 10, 2001 at 13:51:47:

Traveler,
This isn’t the first time I’ve went out on a limb trying to make a living.
I first started out in Trucking in 1978.I had alot of mentoring.After spending around 100,000 bucks out of pocket I learned the ins and outs of it (I was pretty hard headed then) and that mentoring means ,you messed up pretty bad its gonna cost you 2 grand to fix this mess and boy you didn’t know that?
Creo is the only free mentoring I’ve ever had,and I don’t think I would have it any other way.
Life isn’t a free ride
Mark

More on mentoring… - Posted by Traveler

Posted by Traveler on February 10, 2001 at 13:03:20:

In a thread below I questioned the whole idea of ?I need a mentor?. Well, I guess I stomped on somebody?s nerve according to what I found in my email inbox. By questioning someone?s desire to have a mentor I have been borne out as (and I quote) selfish, one who contradicts all of what CRE stands for, someone who needs to get a life, someone who posts ignorant remarks, someone who thinks inside the box, one who doesn?t treat others as I want to be treated, and more. Additionally, I shouldn?t answer posts not directed toward me. (I hereby institute a moratorium on answering any posts not specifically addressed to you. Get busy those of you known by name) I mean after all, five different people told this person he needed to get a good mentor. (Please be advised people seeking a mentor don?t really want a mentor or ?wise counselor??someone who can dispense guidance, direction and advice. What they are looking for is a teacher, tutor, trainer, education, apprenticeship, etc. without cost or obligation.) Before I found this out in email I never knew that when I started I either had money or worked hard to learn, but either way I wished I had someone to lead me. I also never realized that if everyone in the United States were rich there would still be enough money for the rest of the world, but I do now since I just got ?mentored? in macroeconomics. Dang! How am I going to get this altruism and idealism thing down? Anyone want to be my mentor? I understand capitalism, botulism, sado-masochism, communism, Darwinism, Buddhism, Libertarianism, cynicism, Marxism, romanticism, dualism, hedonism, expressionism, optimism and pessimism but I guess I don?t do all the other ?isms? very well.

Names witheld because its the right thing to do.

Man, it?s article time.

The VALUE of Mentoring… - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on February 12, 2001 at 09:10:38:

I have been in this business for several decades. When I first started, I stumbled along and was able to complete many transactions without using any one particular source of information.

When I crashed and burned in the early 80’s, I had to try and realize what was missing from my operation.

When I crashed and burned in 89-90, I had to find someone else to help me realize what was missing from my operation.

I started searching for business people that had been where I wanted to go. Did I pay? Sure I did. I still do. If I need SPECIFIC help on something, I find the best of the best and offer to pay them to “guide” me to the promissed land. Some offer basic info for free similar to the breakfast clubs in your city.

BUT, if you want to learn specific information about how to get started, how to build specific business systems and how to control your world, it’s going to cost… and as you can see from my past experience, you can pay now or pay later.

I would have to say that “mentoring” has changed my life and that it is even more important when you have something to protect.

Is mentoring required to succeed? Not at all. Does mentoring help you get there at a faster pace? You decide.

David S

Re: More on mentoring… - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on February 10, 2001 at 16:54:45:

Traveler,

I pretty much got the same e mail from the individual we tried to help. Oh well, we tried.