My dilemma. - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on April 08, 1999 at 09:18:44:

Thanks for this tip - I’ll check it out and see where it leads me …

RL

My dilemma. - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on April 07, 1999 at 12:20:50:

Here’s my problem: I was going through the motions on a possible deal I have when I realized one of my major problems with getting deals done: I don’t have any local support!

Now, I dont mean this as an excuse but the bottom line for me is: I atleast need a local lawyer I can turn to for advice or to close a deal for me. Someone who understands what the heck I’m talking about! So far it’s been hard to find. The few I’ve spoken to either are hard to get in touch with (always out playing golf, always too busy for me), or I end up explaining to THEM how the deal’s gonna work and they’re like "Ohhh … ".

Since I work full time there’s NO WAY I can work these deals alone (close them, record the paperwork, open escrow accounts, etc). I’m gonna need a lawyer for this.

Anyone have any advice on how to screen and find the right ‘support staff’? Anyone have any comments?

This is a hard business to start in part-time. That’s for sure. But I’ll get where I want to be … eventually.

RL

Mine, too. - Posted by John Katitus

Posted by John Katitus on April 08, 1999 at 24:35:31:

I have yet to find a knowledgeable and accessible REAL ESTATE attorney in my area. If they are not all three, they’re not of much use to us.

I have been doing business for years through a helpful, local title company. They have access to attorney’s, if they need them, and I have paid “Attorney Fees” - whatever they were for. I am happy to say I haven’t really had any other great need and neither should you.

Most of the gurus supply forms and know-how. Free forms are even available. And I trust the responses I get from posts on this board more than most general attorneys’ knowledge.

What are your questions?

Re: My dilemma. - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on April 07, 1999 at 13:03:27:

When we got started several years ago we stumbled across a good attorney and advised many others the same and it seems to work real good.

When HUD/VA sells their properties, HUD/VA does not show up, a local attorney is sub-contracted out by them. Attorney’s bid for this business. We bought a HUD and realized how good the attorney HUD was using knew their business. We contacted them and have done business with them ever since.

Not only does my attorney fax me all upcoming HUD’s/VA’s, they also send me all the new pre-foreclosures (newly submitted mortgage/deed of trust filings) filed at the clerk of courts. When my attorney files foreclosure for a bank, they go ahead and copy all of the new lawsuits for me.

Hope this helps

Jim

Re: Mine, too. - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on April 08, 1999 at 09:17:27:

Well, for example … I was contemplating a L/O on a property that then I was going to assign.

I have Bronchicks “Nuts and Bolts” course with all the forms, so I mostly had it together but not 100% sure all the time and sometimes it’s nice to find out firsthand from someone who knows more than you.

Plus there are documents in this transaction that need to be notarized and recorded, and escrow accounts that need to be created - and I don’t have time during my day for that. I was hoping a lawyer could take care of this (a title company could too).

Plus I guess I was just looking for a little hand-holding through some of this to make sure everything is in order. I run a greater risk because right now I’m licensed so I must be sure everything is done CORRECTLY.

RL