Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Daniel Lubell on May 26, 1999 at 02:44:00:

Jim,

I also use Outlook. Believe it or not, you can buy a timex watch for about $75.00 that outlook will download info to and the watch will beep you with reminders the next day.

Daniel Lubell

Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on May 25, 1999 at 16:47:16:

Hi everyone,
I have had a very busy weekend. Here is a brief synopsis of what went down over the last couple of days with me.
a.) picked up 6 new deals.
b.) picked up 4 new contacts and possible partners for various ventures.
c.) been given 3 free mobile homes.
d.) picked up a new investor (who said "Dirk you have this much money go spend it (on some deals). 50k, may not sound like much, but that is a lot of Lonnie Deals.
e.) was contacted by a lender who wants to work with me on some future deals, can’t wait for the Atlanta seminar so I have some options on how to handle this one.
f.) continued to work on an additional 7 deals and ventures from mobile homes to a river paddle boat.
g.) finished reading Joe Kaiser’s Abandoned Property Book and Scott Britian’s Sure-Fire Quick Start Guide.
h.) Took a break and went with my sweetheart and saw the new Star Wars movie.
i.) Got to play Cashflow with 2 major players, (Only won 1 game :frowning:
j.) had a life.

As you can see I have been pretty busy. What I need are any recommendations any of you might have on any time management books which are good.

As you can tell I have no problem, getting plates to spin, I just need some help in organizing them.
I did get a great planner for x-mass this year, and have the traditional desk calendar blotter. But things change so much over the course of a day that I find it hard to keep to a pre-written schedule. Basically what works for you guys/gals?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Dirk

High Tech stuff - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 26, 1999 at 13:19:02:

I’ve done the Franklin planner for years, but have switched to Outlook 98. I use the Timex Data Link that Dan referred to and also have a phone connection. It synchonizes the names and numbers on my Nokia phone. So, I get a new number, I can enter it into the phone and it goes right from there into Outlook. Or, I can specifically load up numbers into my phone like calls I need to return, etc. It’s called “FoneSync”.

The text messaging is nice too. I can send emails directly to friends and associates on their phones. I can send an encouraging note into my son’s phone (he’s in sales) or up to a 150 character message to an associate that may be on the line or away from their phone - right through my email. A secretary or associate could easily send you data and information while you are on the line - or on the road where it might be hard to write. A caller can also choose the option of sending their number by a page. I also like the no long distance charges.

There are also programs that will alert you through the cell phone as to new email, but I haven’t played with that yet.

As to the more low tech, but the heart of many time management systems, one of the original ground breaking books was Alan Lakein’s “How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life”.

Re: Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on May 26, 1999 at 08:20:18:

After you have made your lists and priortized the tasks try picking only the top three and concentrate on getting those done. Make sure they contribute to your goals. Easy things have a tendency to be the first things done, not the ones that contribute most to the goal.

“The one minute manager” - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on May 25, 1999 at 23:59:33:

I remember a time about 15yrs ago when a client gave me a copy of this book it changed the way I did business.
That subject line is the correct title but I do not recall the author name.
Pat

Re: Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by Robert (AL)

Posted by Robert (AL) on May 25, 1999 at 23:00:06:

Dirk,

Try “First Things First” by Steven Covey

Robert(AL)

Re: Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on May 25, 1999 at 20:34:47:

I’d read (when you have time) “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey.

JPiper

Re: Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by Trevor Rose

Posted by Trevor Rose on May 25, 1999 at 19:48:29:

Dirk,

I have tried the hand-written day-timer thing and realized that I did not have enough time to write everything down.

If you have a PC check out Microsoft Outlook. If you learn to use it correctly it can really revolutionize the way you schedule your day. It has a normal calender, task list, note pad and you can even connect your email into it. Everyday or the night before type out your day and print it up and take it with you. You can program alarms and basically anything you want. It also has a complete “Contact” database that you can run searches, etc, etc.

Trevor

Re: Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on May 25, 1999 at 17:42:50:

Hi Dirk,
I agree with Phil. I have recently started making a to-do list for both business and personal tasks. The benefit is that I get all the jumbled-up stuff out of my head, so I can concentrate on the tasks one-at-a-time. Another benefit is the sense of satisfaction when I cross most of my list off. I don’t feel like I’m spinning my wheels with out getting anything accomplished.

I hear that “Franklin Planner” has a very comprehensive training for around $120 or $150. A close friend told me it changed her life.

PS. My sweetheart took me to see Star Wars this weekend , too.

Jeanne

Re: Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on May 25, 1999 at 17:20:10:

Hi Dirk,

Doesn’t sound like you were that busy. How about k thru z. LOL.

I don’t have a magic bullet here, but what I try to do is the following:

1,/ The night before I will list everything that I have to do and accomplish for the next day.

2./ Then I will prioritize (sp ) that list.

3,/ The next day the prioritzed list goes with me and as each task is accomplished I cross it off.

Posted by JPiper on May 25, 1999 at 20:30:43:

I agree. I love this program.

JPiper

Thought I was getting senile! - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on May 26, 1999 at 08:01:41:

I’ve been making a list for the past few months of things to do the following day. I thought I was getting senile… I guess I’ll cancel my doctors appt.

Thanks for the post (Whew!)

Posted by JPiper on May 25, 1999 at 20:36:55:

Very funny…I like that. You two don’t happen to know each other do you?

JPiper

Re: Need Help (i.e. Time Management) - Posted by kenneth greene

Posted by kenneth greene on May 26, 1999 at 09:53:33:

Dirk, There is a system that I use that you would probably like. It is called Priority Manager and it is used all over the world. There is a 3 hour course that you take to learn the system (if you can find the time)LOL Look for the nearest distributor near you Ken