Need help with HP 12C - Posted by Ed at Duck Lake

Posted by bruce-AR on March 23, 1999 at 08:45:16:

Hi Ed:

The HP12C is really easy to use for quick “note” calculations.

Start by using the yellow “f” key and “xy” key to clear the financial registers. Then key in the values you have (remembering that payments always go in as negative numbers - use the “CHS” key).

Typically you have 3 of the 4 numbers for the calculation and look for the 4th. for example to find the payments on a 10K note for 20 years at 10%:

key in 10000 and PV
key in 10 (not .10) and use the blue “g” key to convert the interest to monthly then hit the “i” key
key in 20 and again use the blue “g” key to convert to months and press the “n” key.
Now you simply hit the “PMT” key to calculate the payments. (it comes up -96.50 - remember payments are always negative)
I assume by “Y” you mean yield. “generally” speaking, your yield is the rate of return (ie “i”) you would calculate if you entered the PV, PMT and n, and then hit the “i” key to calculate the interest rate. For “irregular” cash flows you’d have to use the IRR function which is a bit more complex. Email me at bruce@seark.net with a fax number, and i’ll fax you the pages from the manual. If you have the manual read and work through the examples in section 4.
need any more help feel free to email…

bruce-AR

Need help with HP 12C - Posted by Ed at Duck Lake

Posted by Ed at Duck Lake on March 22, 1999 at 23:04:06:

I have a HP 12C financial calculator, which sure is a challenge to master. Would some one be so kind as to write out a detailed keystroke by keystroke set of instructions of how to figure PV, I, N, PMT, Y, etc. on the HP 12C

So We can do Lonnie Deals.

PV = $10,000.00
I = 10%
N = 120 Months 10 years
PMT = $132.15
Y = ?

Or should I use it for a clay pigeon??

Thanks in advance

Re: Need help with HP 12C - Posted by Bill OK

Posted by Bill OK on March 23, 1999 at 16:12:01:

Buy a 10b for $30 and live happy ever after.