Need some good tips - Posted by Bob S

Posted by Steve on March 17, 2000 at 10:04:20:

As for the question can a landlord find a reason to keep the security deposit, the answer is yes. But you can protect yourself. First have you notified her in writing that you are moving? Most contract have that stated in them. And as for the video tape, angain the answer is YES. I am a bailiff, and I have seen video tape used and it can mean a world of differance. Just be sure that it is dated and time on the tape. And as for the walk though, I would recommend tha youtry and be there. In fact request it in your notification of move out. I do not know if she has to honor it but at least it would be something top show the Judge. But be sure you give a phone number that you can be contacted at after you move. And last thing, send it certified mail with receipt requested. That way you can prove she got it.

I have no idea if this will help but it will not hurt.

Steve

Need some good tips - Posted by Bob S

Posted by Bob S on March 17, 2000 at 05:22:12:

I am a newbiie investor/ tenant. My current lease is about to expire on 4/30/2000. My Landlord has turned into a real idiot now that my lease is coming to its end. She is selling the place and has offered me 1st shot at buying it.

Two problems here, she is asking about $8,000.00 over what comps are for that area and secondly she wants all cash (New Financing) I declined on both and told her I will move on to greener pastures. My concern is my securiity deposit. I have a funny gut feeliing that she is going to try to keep it!.

She did not have me fill out a move in form when I took possession of the place. Does this hurt or help me?

When I vacate do I have her present during the check out procedure? She stated in a letter that she will inspect the property after I move! I think I should be present, what do you guys say? Would you recommend taking video of the place before I vacate just to protect myself from this animal.

Can a Landlord find a way to keep my deposit money if they are goofy enough to think they can get away with it?

The house is in just as good condition as when I moved in except for the normal wear and tear of the carpeting which was flattened in the hallway path when I moved in.

OK guys now you know the story… Give me some pointers to get my security deposit back.

Thanks a bunch

Tom

Re: Need some good tips - Posted by John(NH)

Posted by John(NH) on March 17, 2000 at 12:31:04:

Hey Tom,
Has this landlord ever done anything against you? Without seeing how this landlord has offended you, I would have to say you need a personality adjustment. You called her an idiot, an animal, and goofy. You’ll need a thicker skin if you want to survive as an investor.
As for the security deposit, you are on good ground. There was no move in sheet (her mistake), and you’ve said it’s as good as it was when you moved in. A video will definately help you out (also having one done on move-in would be iron-clad). Walk the inspection with her and explain and items that were there when you moved in - she is only relying on her memory. Above all treat this like a business transaction and don’t lost your temper. Tenants who antagonize me get scrutinized. Those who are nice and easygoing get treated with respect and I overlook the minor things. If you disagree with her deposit withholdings or she doesn’t give the deposit back within the required amount of time, inform her you have no choice but to file in court. Then do so. It will take time, but you have the stronger case.