Newbie in Florida - Posted by t hulse

Posted by CH-CA on April 26, 2000 at 17:13:53:

I believe you can do your 1st deal - it’s more than 1 in a 12-month period. I would not try to get around all of the licensing. I ordered and received my books in about a week, but I am in CA. Don’t know the answers to your other questions.



Newbie in Florida - Posted by t hulse

Posted by t hulse on April 26, 2000 at 12:30:22:

Just ordered the book Deals on Wheels yesterday, and eager to get started. Read most of articles and ideas, and all posts on this new forum. I am having problems with archive search in other newsgroups, so can’t find any answers. For some reason every time I do a search and I get the post titles up, it won’t go to the post so I can read it.
Anyway, my question is how difficult is it to put a deal through in the state in Florida, and what type of licensing if any is required, and what other paperwork? I want to go out and start looking, but have to know what is required by law. For example, when purchased, what type of paperwork is required? Do we have to get a registration for it right away? I’m clueless, but like I said, eager to get started, and can’t until I know these things. Or can anyone tell me if there is a problem with the archives?

Here you go…BUT - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on April 26, 2000 at 13:57:20:

Okay here you go, but really before this scares you, get Lonnie’s Books and read them first. YOU NEED TO KNOW THE INFO inside of them. But here is the FL Mobile Home Dealer Licensing Requirements:

Licensing Requirements for Mobile Home Dealers

In Florida, mobile home dealers are licensed and regulated by the Division of Motor
Vehicles under Section 320.77 Florida Statutes.

The Law

Florida law states that any person, firm partnership or corporation that buys, sells,
offers for sale, displays for sale or deals in one or more mobile homes in any 12-month
period is presumed to be a mobile home dealer and must have an appropriate license
issued by the State.

License Types

There are two classes of licenses issued to mobile homes dealers. They are:

Mobile Home Dealer–for a person dealing in new or used mobile homes. This license
permits the licensee to transact business at retail or wholesale.

Mobile Home Broker–allows the licensee to sell used mobile homes only. This
license permits the licensee to transact business at retail of wholesale.


Before going into the business of selling mobile homes, a person must submit a
completed application, with required documentation and fees. License applications may
be obtained from any Division of Motor Vehicle regional office.

General Requirements

Approval of business location by a DMV representative.
Completed application form.
Fee of $300 for each main location.
Annual fee of $40 required for the Mobile Home and Recreational Vehicle Trust
$25,000 surety bond.
Copy of lease for location or proof of ownership.
Dealer training seminar certificate.
Registration of fictitious trade name.
Copy of corporate papers.
Sales tax number.
Federal employer identification number.
Fingerprints and applicable fees. ($39 per person).

Failure to Obtain A License

Any person violating these licensing requirements is guilty of a second-degree
misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail and/or fine of $500. Such person
will also be liable under civil law for violation of Florida?s Deceptive and Unfair Trade
Practices Act, subject to fines of up to $5000 per violation, and may face a permanent
injunction issued by a circuit court.

Hope this helps.

What about California? - Posted by JohnE

Posted by JohnE on April 26, 2000 at 15:14:06:

I was wondering if you have the licensing information for California?


Re: Here you go…BUT - Posted by t hulse

Posted by t hulse on April 26, 2000 at 15:11:32:

Ugh, I did order first book, and I finally figured out how to get to the posts in the archives. Are you saying that I MUST have a broker’s license to do any Lonnie deals in the state of Florida? Or is there a way around it that others have found down here at present? Because I would love to go try and get one going while I’m waiting on the book. By the way, how long does it take to get the book? I was told about 2 weeks on the phone!! That’s forever.

Re: What about California? - Posted by CH-CA

Posted by CH-CA on April 27, 2000 at 11:46:36:

Just in case you haven’t found out, Dirk Roach answered my post about this. Look about 15 or so posts after yours - entitled “MH business licensing requirements in CA”.


Give HCD a Call - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on April 27, 2000 at 11:30:01:

HCD (department of Housing and Coumminty Development) and ask them to send you a dealer packet. It is too big and don’t have that much time to post all of that here. They’re number is
Hope that helps

shipping for “Deals on Wheels” - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on April 26, 2000 at 17:37:14:

Dear T Hulse,
We do ask you to allow two weeks shipping on all materials available on the site. However, it usually does not take that long. Once I have processed the order, I pass it along to the author’s office to ship. Lonnie Scruggs is excellent about shipping books very quickly. The package will be coming by US Priority Mail for Virgingia. Hope this helps.


also? - Posted by t hulse

Posted by t hulse on April 26, 2000 at 15:35:29:

So do we need an office zoned for commercial? Where do we get info. on the Seminar, does main location mean where I’m selling the MH from? (What if they’re all different trailer parks?)Do we HAVE to incorporate?And how does Fed. ID employer # differ from Sales tax #? I hope these questions don’t seem too dumb. I’m totally clueless, but willing and able to learn.

Dirk, really could use your input on a potential deal! - Posted by CH-CA

Posted by CH-CA on May 03, 2000 at 10:38:36:


I was wondering if you might be able to lend your expertise. I looked at a MH yesterday in East County that may be a good deal. The only problem is that I haven?t had a chance to get familiar with market values, so I have no idea what price I should shoot for (if I should even be interested).

The main problem I can see is that it?s pretty old. Here is the information I have on the home:

· ?69 Skyline
· 12 x 60 (I think)
· 2br/2ba
· Lot rent is $400, utilities not included
· It seems to be in great shape all around

It is an estate sale (you may even know about this one already) and the sellers are only looking to cover funeral costs - $7,200. Now, that seems a little high to me. They mentioned the mobile home price book states that it is worth around $9,200. I didn?t tell them that the book is not the best source for market value. Some more info:

· Sellers can?t have final papers signed until May 30. Apparently, there is a law that says you must wait 40 days after a person has passed away before you can sell.

· The owner didn?t pay for registration last year (or something like that). The sellers thought they would let the buyers take care of that, so they would deduct the $200 - $300 cost (already included in the above-mentioned price).

· There is a lien on the home, at least on the books. However, it was paid off in the ?70s. The owner just never got around to changing the paperwork. Sellers are taking care of that.

· Sellers paying lot rent today.

· One seller lives out of state, but the other lives local. Still seem very motivated to sell.

· I haven?t talked with the PM yet. Thought I would get some kind of indication of market value and whether this might be a good deal or not.

I don?t know what my options are here, except to pursue a normal buy and sell. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.


Re: also? - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on April 26, 2000 at 21:05:55:

We were told, when Dennis attended the required course, that in order for the office to be approved by the DMV it would have to have the room and zoning to display 1 MH - whether we ever DID or not.

Since, others have seem to have been given differing info… ie, dealing in used homes already on lots, would allow them to forego the demo space requirement.

Go take the course, check with your local DMV. Ours promised to bury us and forget to put a marker if we crossed them. And whatever you get, get it in writing.

When we own a park, we will have an office, and room to display, and we will go back to one off deals then, perhaps.

For us, it was not worth the potential stress and strife. Too many other ways to go.
Good luck and keep us informed.