Newbie Questions: "Farming" and Focusing - Posted by SteveA (FL)

Posted by Rolfe Kurtyka on April 25, 2000 at 24:21:34:

Steve;

Let your market area be what ever it has to be. You’ll probably be more familiar with property close to home, and of course the closer the property, the easier it is to reach. Only you know how far is too far.

Personally, I’m interested in accumulating rental properties, but I’ll consider all options. I let the opportunity drive my course of action, always seeking the highest and best use for the property.

Good Luck!! Rolfe

Newbie Questions: “Farming” and Focusing - Posted by SteveA (FL)

Posted by SteveA (FL) on April 24, 2000 at 08:46:39:

I’ve read several times that one should stick to an area and “farm a neighborhood” but I live in a smaller town (city pop. 19,000; county pop. 25,000). It’s nearly impossible to find any number of deals if I stay in one neighborhood. I’m only 30 miles from a major metropolitan city of over 1 million and I hear investors at that local REIA club talking about buying houses all over town. I think working the half of the county on my side (I live on the coast) is more feasible, which would keep me within about 10 miles of my home.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, how important is it to pick one method (ie. rehabbing) and working it to start, as opposed to trying several methods (l/o, rentals, etc.)? I’m planning on doing rehabs only right now, but the more I read, the more I feel like I’m missing out on opportunities.

Thanks in advance.