Not sure how to work this - Posted by mark

Posted by Shane on February 04, 2002 at 17:50:29:

There are many questions left unanswered by your post. #1. What kind of BK did your son file, 7 or 13? #2. When was it discharged? #3. Why aren’t you even considering the mortgage in his name? As far as you going in 50/50 most lenders take the lower score of the two borrowers so that would put you back to square one. In so far as putting in a contract you can submit a contract under whatever terms you desire providing they fall into the legal guidelines of your area. However if you submit a contract for a property you openly admit you wont be living in there may be some complications on the mortgage end. How long has your sons proprty been on the market and why hasn’t it sold? Is reducing the price an option to expedite the sale? What kind of a downpayment is available? If your son has a Chapter 7 that was discharged a year ago he does qualify for a good interest rate loan with a minimal downpayment. If he has a 13 and has been making timely payments for twelve months he also qualifies. Shorter than that he is looking at a sizable downpayment and a high interest rate. Some lenders will do a mortgage the day after a BK is discharged. Don’t allow some loan officer to push you into a mortgage that doesn’t meet all your needs because he is unaware of all the programs out there. Nothing anyone tells you should be considered fact, this business is constantly changing and nobody can stay up to date on everything. What was fact yesterday may not be today. Any questions please email me. Shane

Not sure how to work this - Posted by mark

Posted by mark on February 04, 2002 at 10:42:11:

Hi, my son recently filled for bankrupcy due to his wife’s illness. Things are going good with them now and she is back to work. “good income” They are looking to sell their home to get out of it and into something bigger for the same price. (no equity) We found a property that meets all of their needs, but their house isn’t sold as of yet. I’m willing to buy the house for them if I have to “with them making the payments” or partner with him to purchase the house. My question is first is it possible for him to partner with me 50/50? If not Can I write a contract on the house contingent on my sons house selling even though its not my house? Thanks for any help