Nothing Down for the 90s - Posted by Pavon Bailey

Posted by Matthew Chan on March 16, 2000 at 22:32:44:

… everyone else’s replies. So much history and explanations has been brought out already, I don’t think I can add anything new. The answers are there.

But FYI, I do have my opinions of them but I am not going to share them here. So many people have hit “point blank” and made detailed explanations on Robert Allen and you still didn’t “get it”.

Why would anything I say or “distinctions” I make have any bearing or make any difference?

So, for your own ego, just tell yourself and everyone you know that you “stumped” me into such confusion that I was unable to answer you. You “proved yourself right” so you can walk tall now.

Me? I guess I will go back under the rock whence I came. Too tiresome here…

Nothing Down for the 90s - Posted by Pavon Bailey

Posted by Pavon Bailey on March 15, 2000 at 07:30:39:

Good morning everyone!

Last night I went to Barnes and Noble to study for a test I have at school next week. While I was there, I happen to peruse the real estate section of the bookstore. I saw this one book that caught my eye. It’s titled, “Nothing Down for the 90s” by a guy named Robert Allen. I skimmed the book and liked what I saw, so I bought it. My investment: $22.00.

QUESTION: Has anyone read this book, and if so tell me what you think of it? I personally think that it’s a very good book that gives excellent insight on Real Estate investing. I can’t wait to read it tonight!

Thanks for the input, and happy investing!

FLAME ON!!! (but don’t burn any bridges)

Pavon

Are you going into business with Allen or buying a book? - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on March 18, 2000 at 10:23:39:

Ron, you make some valid points which would apply if you were entering into a partnership or serious business deal with Robert Allen but your talking about the purchase of his $22.00 book! C’mon!

Distinctions required… - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on March 16, 2000 at 21:56:45:

I personally don’t post that much here anymore because of some of the nonsensical stuff that continues to come up that it is a waste of energy. I have also noticed this trend by the apparent “disappearance” of many people who used to post more frequently.

However, this thread has simply transcended the initial talk about Robert Allen and his real estate abilities. We are getting to some serious belief, character, and philosophical issues. It has been interesting watching the different responses. And I have learned much tonight from most of them.

This entire thread has certainly educated me to the fact that we, as people, really need to have the ability to make distinctions in life to fully maximize our life experience.

In our efforts to “categorize” and lump things and people in groups, we can lose the silver lining and gold nuggets that can be gained if we don’t open our minds up a little.

It really is so sad to see someone get so hung up and continually harp on something so tightly that he cannot get the message being conveyed.

The inability to process with both sides of the brain is truly something sad to see. We keep getting the “broken record” syndrome. I hope someone slaps me if I get that way.

“Creating Wealth” even better than “Nothing Down” - Posted by Nancy Cason

Posted by Nancy Cason on March 16, 2000 at 20:12:25:

Robert Allen’s book Creating Wealth is what got me started on a formal program not just dabbeling in real estate. I picked it up at the library and read it at least 10 times. The concepts are timeless.

HAVE FUN AND KEEP A POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE

NANCY

Did my first SFR from “Nothing Down” - Posted by Terry Vaughan

Posted by Terry Vaughan on March 15, 2000 at 14:13:13:

The original title (in the 70’s) was “Nothing Down”, by Robert Allen. It came out about the same time as “Awaken The Financial Genius Inside You”, by Mark Haroldson.

I actually bought my first house out of that book (copied the contract at the post office) and went on to use what bob taught in that book to buy lots and lots of real estate.

In 1985 I met Bob at his “Challenge” seminar. During the seminar, I bought a “Condo” in Oceanside by buying a note, trading the note for the condo, while arranging for a new loan, pocketing $10,000 from the “crank”, then "flipped the deal to another student for another $5,000, all in the same deal! This raised Bob’s eyebrows! He asked me to come to work with his team training Real Estate Students.

I worked with Bob over three years with the now famous “Challenge Workshop”, and for the last year+ did his introductory seminar for the “challenge” all across the country.

We later lived near each other and I would constantly bump into Bob at the local market. Each time I saw him we would talk about his ongoing search. He was always looking for ways to help people improve their lives. More than real estate, Bob’s real interest has always been the study of human accomplishment and how it might be better taught.

I haven’t see him for a few years now, (I moved to the country) but the last time we bumped into each other was at a Gary Halprin Seminar on “The Internet”. Bob is always staying with the trend - then zooming ahead to show us a new area we should be looking at.

He is a neat man. I feel greatful to have come to know him personally. I have never seen anything written, with his name on it, that wasn’t worth ten time the money.

Re: Nothing Down for the 90s - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on March 15, 2000 at 14:05:54:

You guys got me all motivated now.
I’m going to the book store tonite to buy both books and reserve a copy of the new one for Friday.
The Mrs. won’t be too happy but i’m sure that will change once we get going and the cash starts rolling in.

Rock on everyone!!!

Yep!!! It was my introduction to creative real estate also! - Posted by Paul_NY

Posted by Paul_NY on March 15, 2000 at 13:34:29:

When I first read Robert Allen’s book, Nothing Down, I remember using a dictionary to look up the word ‘mortgage’.

Thanks Robert Allen!!

Paul_NY

Nothing Down is good, but why not read his brand new book? - Posted by Eduardo (OR)

Posted by Eduardo (OR) on March 15, 2000 at 13:32:20:

Allen’s new book, Multiple Streams of Income, will be available Friday, March 17th (two days from now), in the bookstores. --Eduardo

Re: Nothing Down for the 90s - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on March 15, 2000 at 12:48:39:

Robert Allen’s Nothing Down is a classic. It got me interested in creative real estate investing as it did Bill Bronchick and many many others.

I also have Creating Wealth by Robert Allen. Another great book.

The one book I have that I have never heard anyone mention about, is Richard Allen’s, ( Robert’s brother ) How To Make A Nothing Down Offer So That Everybody Wins. This book has 50 case histories of creative acquisition without using your own money. If any of you guys can get your hands on it, it’s a tremendous book. Maybe the best of the best ever written.

The AMAZING way I met Robert G. Allen . . . - Posted by Robert M. Campbell

Posted by Robert M. Campbell on March 15, 2000 at 11:47:43:

I met Robert G. Allen in 1981 . . . under some unusual circumstances

Here’s the details.

As a promotion for his GREAT book “Nothing Down”, he was invited to come to San Diego by a TV news station as a challenge to his standing (marketing) offer:

“Put me in any city in the United States, take away all my money but $100 . . . and I will buy a perfectly good piece of real estate with NO MONEY DOWN in 72 hours”

Well, guess what?

With a TV news team filming the whole episode for their three part TV Special (“The New Millionaires”) . . . Mr. Allen called on one of my real estate for sale ads.

I had already read his book (and loved it) . . . and Robert Allen purchased a condominium from me in Escondido, California with no money down.

The whole thing was filmed on TV: Meeting at the property, signing the deal pool side . . . everything Hollywood style.

So Robert G. Allen answered the call to his bold challenge . . . and I’m sure sold 1000’s more of his book NOTHING DOWN because of it.

Yes, Robert Allen talked the talk . . . AND walked the walk. He performed!

And by the way, Bob Allen and I have remained good friends for the last 29 years. I have incredible respect for him. (We even have kids in the same high school.)

To anyone who wants to really get serious about nothing down deals, Robert Allen’s book NOTHING DOWN is still incredibly valuable.

Robert M. Campbell

One of the first books on real estate I read . . . - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on March 15, 2000 at 11:35:07:

This book turned me on to real estate investing. Although I don’t agree with his strategy of refinancing every few years and taking out the equity (remember the 80’s, Bob?), I did like the subordination ideas.

Heck, one good idea that I put to use to make money is always worth the price of the materials (and yes, even JohnT Reed’s $22 book might be worth the cover price for an idea . . . barely!)

One of my favorite authors! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 15, 2000 at 10:55:58:

I liked his other one better: Nothing Down for the 80’s.

…And as a matter of fact, I stumbled across one of his earlier books, (The Challenge), in a used book store last week. Snapped it up for pennies on the dollar! Think it had an '87 copyright…

Enjoy the book; he’s a great author!

Susan

Re: Nothing Down for the 90s - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on March 15, 2000 at 10:11:39:

Just don’t read johntreed’s opinion of Robert Allen!!
:slight_smile:

Re: Nothing Down for the 90s - Posted by Rick Wheat

Posted by Rick Wheat on March 15, 2000 at 08:43:54:

Pavon:

Robert Allen was one of the originators of the creative real estate revolution that took place in the early '70s. His first book on the topic, “Nothing Down” stayed on the bestsellers list for a long, long time. It absolutely launched the careers of many investors, who are now gurus on their own.

He also has another great book “Creating Wealth” that is designed to show you not only how to acquire success, but also how to keep it around.

Excellent material - read all you can get your hands on!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Rick Wheat

Re: Did my first SFR from “Nothing Down” - Posted by Billm

Posted by Billm on March 16, 2000 at 13:42:38:

Robert Allen is routinely “trashed” with “facts” that are taken entirely out of context. Personally, I have used ideas from all of his books to put deals together. My guess is that those who don’t do well in their real estate activities generally feel better if they can lay blame for their failure on someone elses doorstep. Allen is a convenient skapegoat, since he has been very successful, and has also had his share of setbacks. That seems to stir up a lot of envy in some folks. I used to be surprised at the number of people who relish seeing a successful person stumble… no matter the cause! Time has proven that envy cuts a wide path.

I know Robert Allen and I know his efforts have always been to offer ways for the “average and ordinary” guy/gal to acheive that elusive goal- financial freedom.

Are risk involved? YES-and he makes that clear to all-but many don’t want to hear that and “forget” that. Who’s problem is that? Life is filled with risks-even if you do nothing.

In my book, Robert Allen has been a real benefit to all those people who hope to one day become financially free.

Bill

Some even says Lonnie’s Method Don’t Work! - Posted by Rob

Posted by Rob on March 15, 2000 at 20:10:08:

I, for one wouldn’t do this. Recently, some other people posting said that Lonnie’s ways didn’t work.

Many MH investors disagreed along with myself.
They said that no one could, or would sell for that price between $1,500 to $3,500.

Well, me and my partner pick up a double-wide for $3,500 with borrowed money ala No Money Down Deal!
My partner sold this MH for $25,000 with a $3,500 first month and $2,500 second month down. Waiting for the rest “Lonnie’s style” in the end of the year in full, not the regular 3-5 years time. GOOD ENOUGH!

I am a true big believer of Lonnie. That’s for sure!

Rob

P.S. Everything works depends on how you apply it.

Re: Did my first SFR from “Nothing Down” - Posted by Ron

Posted by Ron on March 15, 2000 at 14:28:38:

I read on John Reed’s website that Allen has had numerous IRS liens, deliquent tax warrants, lawsuits, and a 1996 bankruptcy against him.

I don’t mean to sound disrespectful, but how successful a guru is Allen if he has had all of these problems (documented by Reed).

thankyou.

Re: Nothing Down is good, but why not read his brand new book? - Posted by OzarkMark

Posted by OzarkMark on March 15, 2000 at 19:39:07:

Speaking of books, try http://www.bestbookbuys.com/

This site searches for the best prices on books. Works great! I just ordered Allens latest (list 24.95) for $19.89 and FREE shipping from ecampus.com, found by http://www.bestbookbuys.com/ -Mark

Wow How cool Robert BUT??? - Posted by IdahoRob

Posted by IdahoRob on March 16, 2000 at 24:05:43:

My memory must be slipping I thought they flew him to S. F. took his wallet away left him with $100 most of which he fed the new crew on ---- and the cono on TV afer he left and was on another interview told the seller to give him a call and he would give it back to him---- Robert thought the price was so low he was stealing this so he wanted to give it back— wonder if there was 2 condo’s or am I just dreaming??? Or did more than 1 newpaper take him up on the challenge?