OK death certificate records? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in no CA)

Posted by David Krulac on February 04, 2002 at 16:21:02:

I have not found any errors of ommission in their data base. Look up Elvis Presley, for example, born 1935 died 1977, age 42 years, didn’t collect Social Security
Retirement, and he’s in the data base. Though he might be there because of his young daughter collecting.

As I stated in my previous post people who died before social security, and people who never paid in or never collected are not in the data base.

David Krulac

OK death certificate records? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in no CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in no CA) on February 02, 2002 at 16:45:51:

I wonder if any OK investors know the following or have a lead where I might get the information that I want. I will be checking the e-mail a few times in the next two weeks, as I work in OK.

I want to be able to research whether or not OK property owners have died. I have been told by the county clerks that all the death certificate information is sent to the state vital records division of the department of public health. The counties do not keep records of deaths.

The state department of vital records will tell me if there is a death certificate for somebody, if I pay them $10 for every inquiry. Opps, that gets expensive when you want to do dozens of them.

I wonder if anybody knows of a way to check for the death of somebody in OK much cheaper than this? Is there some research organization that gets this information cheaper?

Oh yes, I know of the social security claimant CD-ROMS. In fact, I have one about 10 years old. But I would be looking for deaths of OK people that occurred in about the last three or four years.

Any leads?

Good InvestingRon Starr***

Check this site - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on February 03, 2002 at 08:37:18:

Check here.

http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/ssdi/main.htm

Re: OK death certificate records? - Posted by BR

Posted by BR on February 03, 2002 at 08:27:32:

Ron,

How soon do you need this information? I know you would like to have it as soon as possible but is there a time frame in which you MUST have it?

Re: OK death certificate records? - Posted by frank

Posted by frank on February 02, 2002 at 20:53:05:

When all else fails…ask an undertaker how they get notice of death to follow up for business. Must be some great records there.
Regards

Try ancestry.com. (nt) - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on February 02, 2002 at 18:47:35:

nt

Re: OK death certificate records? - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on February 02, 2002 at 17:52:26:

Ron,
I am not able to guide you to any agency that does this, but as I was reading your post, an idea popped into my head.
What about obits in the paper?
Many papers are online now, and have archives for past issues.
Surely you could look there to gather some info, and then whittle it down to a few that you need more info on.
Then take that list to the govt. agency.
This would still cost you the $10/inquiry, but with a smaller list that has been gone over, perhaps it would save you a sawbuck or two.

Just my random thoughts, and as I said, this is nothing I have a clue about, so take my $.02 for just that.

Take care Ron,
Jim FL

Re: OK death certificate records? - Posted by JasonWDTX

Posted by JasonWDTX on February 02, 2002 at 17:39:39:

I don’t know if you can get death certificates, but you can search court records online at http://www.oscn.net/ it’s the OK Supreme Court Network. You may be able to search the probate records. I use it to check out tenants to see what lawsuits they have been in and research the statutes.
Jason

Re: OK death certificate records? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on February 03, 2002 at 04:47:13:

Frank------------

Thanks. I’ve written that down. Another avenue to pursue in my quest for cheap data.

Good InvestingRon Starr************

Re: Try ancestry.com. (nt) - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on February 03, 2002 at 04:45:13:

Ben–(NJ)-----------

Thanks. Looked it up. Did not find anything appropriate. Now, if I wanted information from the 1860-1890 OK census . . …

Good Investing***********Ron Starr*************

Re: OK death certificate records? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on February 03, 2002 at 04:17:33:

Jason–(TX)-------

Thanks for the idea and url. I’ll check it out.

Good Investing*************Ron Starr***********

Ancestry.com - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on February 03, 2002 at 13:30:24:

does have the social security death index, which has everybody who has died who paid into social security.
The information is pretty current, as I have verified info that is only 4-5 weeks after the death.

There are some holes in the data, including people who died before social security, people who never paid into social security, foreign born people who never worked in the US, and other such people. All and all the information is accurate and useful.

Best wishes,

David Krulac

Re: Ancestry.com - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on February 04, 2002 at 12:24:47:

David Krulac–

Ok. Thanks. I will keep this post and check it when I have some names to search.

Naturally, my database is out of date, being before that sort of thing was readily available on the internet.

Thanks for you help.

Good Investing and Good PostingRon Starr*******

Re: Ancestry.com - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on February 03, 2002 at 17:46:59:

It doesnt contain all the dead people that paid into social security. I am not sure of the exact criteria, but I think it is all the people for whom an application for Social Security death benefits were applied for. Bottom line is that only about one third of people who die get into the index. It is the best index available, but it has huge holes. Also since there are few middle initials, looking up a common name is very time consuming.