OK I Just have to vent ... - Posted by Redline

Do I take that as a threat on my life? What LIfe? - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on April 09, 2006 at 10:34:51:

I rest my case. I think we can all figure out who is the real fool here. I forgot to add attitude to some barrister’s problems. Innovater’s comments were clasic. Nothing like a little humor to make life interesting.

Re: Everybody wants to go to heaven… - Posted by Walt Carey

Posted by Walt Carey on April 09, 2006 at 10:17:58:

…but in the process they wanna raise a little hell!

Hey Rick,

I agree w/ you on all you’ve esposed here. The one thing I think most folks fail to consider here about us “bad people” is WHO makes the decisions. We learn in law school and have it drilled into us ad nauseum thereafter that its the CLIENT who must make all the decisions regarding a case. The attorney doesn’t file suit on his own, he does it after a client has come to him, and after listening to his set of circumstances, makes recommendations on a course of action. The client then makes the decision on how to proceed. If litigation is initiated, its done w/ the direction of the client. The attorney CANNOT do this on his own, as he’s not a party to the action, unless of course, he wants to hear from the bar later on.

This pattern holds true throughout the life of the case. If its to be settled, the client must direct the attorney on what that settlement entails and how its structured. If the client demands the case go to trial, no lawyer or judge (no matter how much a judge might pressure an attorney to settle in camera) can stop a client from proceeding as he/she so wishes.

Because none of us work for free (including investors), the attorney will charge the client for actions taken in accordance with that client’s direction. It continues to mystify me how we’re perceived so badly here. If a client thinks its costing them too much in fees, SETTLE THE THING! Direct your attorney to settle or meet up w/ the principal on the other side and hash out an agreement. I cannot tell you the number of times I’ve recommended that course of action to a client and many times (not all of course) they were able to come to an agreement. All the parties were happy.

My goal isn’t to bill my clients 'til they’re blind, but rather to provide a service which allows them to get what they need. If I’ve done that, I’ve provided a good service.

Hope to see you soon,
Walt

PS You need to put together a course on probate investing, Rick. Heck, I know I’d learn a thing or two!